Nielsen Hayden genealogy

Daniel Mason

Male Bef 1676 - 1705  (> 28 years)

Generations:      Standard    |    Vertical    |    Compact    |    Box    |    Text    |    Ahnentafel    |    Fan Chart    |    Media    |    PDF

Generation: 1

  1. 1.  Daniel Mason was born before 9 Apr 1676 in Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusetts (son of Daniel Mason and Margaret Denison); died in 1705.

    Other Events:

    • Baptised: 9 Apr 1676, Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusetts

    Daniel married Dorothy Hobart on 9 Apr 1704. Dorothy (daughter of Rev. Jeremiah Hobart and Elizabeth Whiting) was born on 21 Aug 1679 in Topsfield, Essex, Massachusetts; died on 11 Mar 1731. [Group Sheet] [Family Chart]

    1. Jeremiah Mason was born on 4 Mar 1705; died in 1771.

Generation: 2

  1. 2.  Daniel Mason was born in Apr 1652 in Saybrook, Middlesex, Connecticut (son of John Mason and Anne Peck); died on 28 Jan 1737 in Stonington, New London, Connecticut.

    Other Events:

    • Alternate birth: Apr 1652, Stonington, New London, Connecticut
    • Alternate death: 1736, Stonington, New London, Connecticut

    Daniel married Margaret Denison before 8 Feb 1674. Margaret (daughter of Edward Denison and Elizabeth Weld) was born before 15 Dec 1650; died before 15 May 1679; was buried on 15 May 1679. [Group Sheet] [Family Chart]

  2. 3.  Margaret Denison was born before 15 Dec 1650 (daughter of Edward Denison and Elizabeth Weld); died before 15 May 1679; was buried on 15 May 1679.

    Other Events:

    • Baptised: 15 Dec 1650, Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusetts
    • Baptised: 19 Dec 1650, Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusetts

    1. 1. Daniel Mason was born before 9 Apr 1676 in Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusetts; died in 1705.

Generation: 3

  1. 4.  John Mason was born about 1605; died between 9 May 1672 and 6 Jun 1672 in Norwich, New London, Connecticut.


    From Wikipedia (lightly edited):

    John Mason [...] enlisted in the military in 1624 and went to the Netherlands to serve in the sectarian Thirty Years' War (1618–1648), where he gained significant tactical military experience, first seeing action in the Breda campaign. By 1629 he was a lieutenant in the Brabant Campaign and participated in the Siege of s'-Hertogenbosch, literally "The Duke's Forest" in English, and known in French as Bois-le-Duc. He served with Thomas Fairfax under General Horace Vere in the army of Frederik Hendrik, Prince of Orange.

    In 1632, he joined the great Puritan exodus and sailed from England to the Massachusetts Bay Colony, settling in Dorchester where he was promptly appointed captain of the local militia. In 1633, he commanded the first American naval task force and pursued the pirate Dixie Bull, routing him from New England waters. He and Roger Ludlow planned and supervised the construction of the first fortifications on Castle Island (later known as Fort Independence) in Boston Harbor. In 1634, he was elected to represent Dorchester in the Massachusetts General Court, where permission was granted for him to remove to the fertile Connecticut River valley. In 1635, he settled in Windsor, Connecticut at the confluence of the Farmington and Connecticut rivers; he lived there for the next twelve years and served as a civil magistrate and military leader of the nascent Connecticut Colony. In 1640, he married Anne Peck, from a prominent Puritan family; they had eight children.

    The most prominent episode in Mason's lifelong career of public service was his overall command as captain of the colonial forces in the Pequot War of 1637. This was the first sustained conflict in Southern New England, a complex and risky campaign. The large and powerful Pequot tribe had subjugated other local tribes, killed numerous Colonial settlers and destroyed vital corn crops. The Massachusetts Bay Colony eventually declared war with them, and the infant Connecticut Colony was quickly drawn into the conflict.

    The Pequots greatly outnumbered the colonial forces, but the English had superior weapons and tactics. They also had the guidance and support of numerous Indian allies who were tributaries to the Pequots, especially Mohegan Sachem Uncas, who formed lasting bond with Mason and also Wequash Cooke. [...] Following the colonists' victory, Mason was promoted to major and received numerous land grants as a reward for his services. Mason's Island at the mouth of the Mystic River remained in his family for over 250 years.

    In 1647, Mason assumed command of Saybrook Fort which controlled the main trade and supply route to the upper river valley. The fort mysteriously burned to the ground but another improved fort was quickly built nearby. He spent the next twelve years there and served as Commissioner of the United Colonies, as the chief military officer, magistrate, and peacekeeper. He was continually called upon to negotiate the purchase of Indian lands, write treaties, or arbitrate some Indian quarrel, many of which were instigated by his friend Uncas. His leadership abilities were unrivaled, which prompted the New Haven Colony to offer him a lucrative position as manager of their enterprise in relocating to the Delaware River area. However, he declined the offer and remained in Connecticut.

    In 1659, Major Mason moved from the mouth of the Connecticut River to the head of the Thames River, together with his son-in-law Rev. James Fitch and most of the Saybrook residents, and founded the town of Norwich, Connecticut. The land "nine miles square" was purchased from Mohegan Sachem Uncas, who also signed over to Mason all the territory in his tribe's domain as a protector and administrator. Questions regarding title to these thousands of acres created legal disputes which lasted for seventy years; the Mohegan Land Case actually consisted of several cases and appeals making their way through various courts in Connecticut, Massachusetts, and even back in London, England before the Lords Commissioners. Several of the Major's Mason descendants, in their legal role as tribal overseers, went bankrupt in the process of defending the Mohegan land rights.

    During his twelve years in Norwich, John Mason served for nine years as Deputy Governor (1660 to 1669), and he helped to write the Connecticut Charter. He served as acting Governor from 1661 to 1663 while Governor John Winthrop Jr. went to England to obtain approval of the Charter from King Charles II. In 1669, pleading old age and infirmities, he retired to an advisory position, but he suffered painfully in the last years of his life from cancer, which was then referred to as the "strangury".

    John married Anne Peck in Jul 1639 in Hingham, Plymouth, Massachusetts. Anne (daughter of Rev. Robert Peck and Anne Lawrence) was born before 18 Nov 1619; died before Jun 1672. [Group Sheet] [Family Chart]

  2. 5.  Anne Peck was born before 18 Nov 1619 (daughter of Rev. Robert Peck and Anne Lawrence); died before Jun 1672.

    Other Events:

    • Baptised: 18 Nov 1619, Hingham, Norfolk, England


    At her funeral, her son-in-law, the Rev. James Fitch, preached a sermon that was later published (Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1672) as Peace the End of the Perfect and Upright Demonstrated and Usefully Improved in a Sermon Preached upon the Occasion of the Death and Decease of the Piously Affected and Truely Religious Woman, Mrs. Anne Mason, Sometime Wife to Major John Mason, Who Not Long After Finished His Course and Is Now at Rest.

    1. Priscilla Mason was born in Oct 1641 in Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut; died in 1714.
    2. 2. Daniel Mason was born in Apr 1652 in Saybrook, Middlesex, Connecticut; died on 28 Jan 1737 in Stonington, New London, Connecticut.

  3. 6.  Edward Denison was born before 3 Nov 1616 (son of William Denison and Margaret Chandler); died on 26 Apr 1668 in Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusetts.

    Other Events:

    • Baptised: 3 Nov 1616, Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire, England
    • Alternate death: 28 Apr 1668, Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusetts


    With his father, he was among those disarmed along with the Rev. John Wheelwright.

    Edward married Elizabeth Weld on 30 Mar 1641 in Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusetts. Elizabeth (daughter of Joseph Weld and Elizabeth Wise) was born before 22 Feb 1626; died on 5 Feb 1717 in Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusetts. [Group Sheet] [Family Chart]

  4. 7.  Elizabeth Weld was born before 22 Feb 1626 (daughter of Joseph Weld and Elizabeth Wise); died on 5 Feb 1717 in Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusetts.

    Other Events:

    • Baptised: 22 Feb 1626, All Saints, Sudbury, Suffolk, England
    • Alternate death: 5 Feb 1716, Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusetts

    1. 3. Margaret Denison was born before 15 Dec 1650; died before 15 May 1679; was buried on 15 May 1679.

Generation: 4

  1. 10.  Rev. Robert Peck was born in 1580 in Beccles, Suffolk, England (son of Robert Peck and Helen Babbs); died between 24 Jul 1651 and 10 Apr 1658 in Hingham, Norfolk, England; was buried in Hingham, Norfolk, England.

    Other Events:

    • Alternate death: 1656, Hingham, Norfolk, England


    B.A., Magdalen College, Cambridge, 1599; M.A., 1602. Rector of Hingham, Norfolk from 1605 to 1638, when he came to New England and was ordained teacher of the church at Hingham, Massachusetts in 1638. He returned permanently to England when, in 1641, the news reached New England that Bishop Matthew Wren had been declared unfit for office.

    From Abandoning America (citation details below):

    Robert Peck, born at Beccles, Suffolk, graduated MA from Magdalene College, Cambridge, in 1603. He became rector of Hingham, Norfolk, in 1605. He was convicted of nonconformity in 1615 and 1617. Samuel Harsnett, bishop of Norwich, censured Peck for catechising and singing psalms at his home on Sunday afternoons. As a result, Norwich citizens included Peck's case in a petition to the House of Commons against Harsnett. The bishop got Peck bound over at the quarter sessions in 1622 for holding conventicles, and in the consistory court it was alleged that Peck 'had infected the parish with strange opinions: as that people are not to kneel as they enter the church; that it is superstition to bow at the name of Jesus; and that the church is no more sacred than any other building'. Some of Peck's neighbours were said to believe that there was 'no Difference between an Alehouse and the Church, till the Preacher be in the Pulpit'. In 1630, Peck was one of four ministers among twelve 'trustees for the Religion in Norwich and Norfolk', who, in a similar fashion to the London Feoffees for Impropriations, worked to establish positions for zealous protestant preachers. Soon after, Peck joined the team of twelve ministers serving the Norwich 'combination lecture' at St George Tombland, the parish of William Bridge; other preachers included Jeremiah Burroughes and William Greenhill.

    In the campaign for conformity led by Bishop Matthew Wren, Peck was excommunicated on 9 October 1636 and deprived of his living on 9 April 1638. According to petitions from his parishioners and his son Samuel -- included among papers presented in 1640 to the House of Commons against Wren -- Robert Peck had been excommunicated by Wren's chancellor, Clement Corbet, for not appearing in person at a visitation. Peck had requested absolution but Corbet refused this, according to Samuel Peck's account, unless his father agreed to 'alwayes preach in his surplesse, constantly use Common prayer, read second service att the high Altar, which they had caused to be built in the Chancell (with diverse other Articles commonly called Bishop Wrens pocket injuncions)'. Robert Peck would not assent, claiming the requirements had no legal force in the Church of England. On 4 November 1636, Corbet reported to Wren that Robert's son Thomas Peck had recently officiated at Hingham, and 'did nothing in order': Corbet called him to appear 'but he is returned into Essex from whence he came and it is rumorde the ould fox his father is kenelld ther'. (Thomas Peck had married Abigail, daughter of the well-known preacher John Rogers of Dedham, Essex.) The authorities sequestered tithes from Hingham, worth £160 according to the parishioners, £180 according to Samuel Peck. However, so 'addicted' to Robert Peck were his people that they paid their dues to him, or to his wife or deputies in his absence, defying Corbet. In light of Peck's obstinate refusal to repent, Corbet requested in June 1637 that the case should be taken to the Court of High Commission. On 9 March 1637/8, Corbet urged Wren to proceed against Peck, who had been called back to residence six months earlier but had not appeared. Corbet reported that Peck was soon to go to New England 'and carryeth [with him] many Housholdes in that and other townes adjacent, as I heare'. In the end, the authorities deprived Peck for nonresidency, 'notwithstanding', wrote his parishioners, 'he did alwayes abide in the said Towne where he had soe long lived'. Before Peck set off for New England, he made complex arrangements for family members left behind. He granted the profits of his living to his son Samuel, for maintenance. Samuel petitioned parliament for payment in 1640: this petition described Robert Peck, under threat of proceedings in the Court of High Commission, as 'inforced togeather with his wife and family in his old dayes to forsake his deare contry'. He and his wife were 'made Exiles in their old age'.

    Robert Peck sailed for New England on the Diligent of Ipswich, which carried 135 East Anglian passengers. He arrived in New England on 10 August 1638, with his wife Ann, two servants, and two of his children, Joseph and Ann. His brother Joseph Peck emigrated with his family at the same time. On 28 November 1638, Robert Peck was ordained teacher at Hingham, Massachusetts, where Peter Hobart, who had grown up in Hingham, Norfolk, was pastor. Peck was granted land in 1638 and became a freeman on 13 March 1638/9. Thomas Lechford noted that Peck and Hobart 'refuse to baptize old Ottis grandchildren, an ancient member of their own Church'. The Hingham church seems to have included almost the whole community, but this case arose because in 1641 John Otis presented his granddaughter for baptism. Her father, Thomas Burton, had not joined a church, regarding it as a separatist act. Hobart and Peck initially refused baptism, adhering to the practice of baptising only the children of members, not their grandchildren. Later, after Peck's departure, Hobart baptised the child. In 1646 Hobart sided with Thomas Burton and Robert Child when they petitioned against, among other matters, restricted baptism.

    Peck set sail for England on 27 October 1641, with his wife Ann and son Joseph. His daughter Ann stayed in New England, as did his brother Joseph. Robert Peck sailed in the same fleet as John Phillip. According to Cotton Mather, he went home at 'the Invitation of his Friends at Hingham in England'. His former parishioners had in fact petitioned the House of Commons in 1640, 'humbly crauing redresse that Mr Peck our old minister may be by law and justice of this Court returned to his old possession or att least some godly man may be placed amongst us'. Peck resumed his ministry at Hingham. The altar rails and mound at the east end of the chancel, erected on the orders of Bishop Wren's chancellor, Clement Corbet, were removed. On 5 July 1647, Captain John Mason, who had married Peck's daughter Ann, sold Peck's house and land in Hingham, Massachusetts. Peck died in 1656, or perhaps somewhat later. His will, made on 24 July 1651, was proved on 10 April 1658. Peck mentioned his wife Martha and asked to be buried at Hingham next to his former wife, Ann; also his sons Thomas, Samuel, Robert (deceased) and Joseph, and his daughter Ann, wife of John Mason of Connecticut. Peck's funeral sermon was preached by Nathaniel Jocelyn, pastor of Hardingham, Norfolk, near Hingham.

    Robert married Anne Lawrence about 1606. Anne (daughter of Rev. John Lawrence and (Unknown) Herne) died before 20 Aug 1648; was buried on 30 Aug 1648 in Hingham, Norfolk, England. [Group Sheet] [Family Chart]

  2. 11.  Anne Lawrence (daughter of Rev. John Lawrence and (Unknown) Herne); died before 20 Aug 1648; was buried on 30 Aug 1648 in Hingham, Norfolk, England.
    1. 5. Anne Peck was born before 18 Nov 1619; died before Jun 1672.

  3. 12.  William Denison was born before 3 Feb 1571 (son of John Denison and Agnes Wylley); died on 25 Jan 1654 in Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusetts.

    Other Events:

    • Baptised: 3 Feb 1571, Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire, England
    • Alternate death: 25 Jan 1653, Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusetts


    He was a maltster and a merchant. Emigrated 1631 on the Lyon, along with the Rev. John Eliot, later "apostle to the Indians," said to have been William Denison's children's tutor. With his son Edward, William Denison was among the supporters of Mrs. Hutchinson who were disarmed along with the Rev. John Wheelwright.

    William married Margaret Chandler on 7 Nov 1603 in Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire, England. Margaret (daughter of Tobias Chandler and Joan Momford) was born on 13 Oct 1577 in Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire, England; died on 3 Feb 1646 in Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusetts. [Group Sheet] [Family Chart]

  4. 13.  Margaret Chandler was born on 13 Oct 1577 in Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire, England (daughter of Tobias Chandler and Joan Momford); died on 3 Feb 1646 in Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusetts.

    Other Events:

    • Baptised: 13 Oct 1577, Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire, England

    1. Daniel Denison was born before 18 Oct 1612; died on 20 Sep 1682 in Ipswich, Essex, Massachusetts; was buried on 22 Sep 1682 in Highland Cemetery, Ipswich, Essex, Massachusetts.
    2. 6. Edward Denison was born before 3 Nov 1616; died on 26 Apr 1668 in Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusetts.
    3. Capt. George Denison was born before 10 Dec 1620; died on 23 Oct 1694 in Hartford, Hartford, Connecticut; was buried in Ancient Burying Ground, Hartford, Hartford, Connecticut.

  5. 14.  Joseph Weld was born about 1599 in Sudbury, Suffolk, England (son of Edmund Weld and Amye Brewster); died on 7 Oct 1646 in Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusetts; was buried on 7 Oct 1646 in Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusetts.

    Other Events:

    • Alternate birth: Abt 1598, Sudbury, Suffolk, England


    Emigrated to New England about 1635. He was a wealthy merchant, styled "Mr." in New England.

    He went back to England in 1644, where he was arrested on arrival for his part in a lawsuit against the brother of Alderman Berkley. His brother Thomas, and also Henry Vane, interceded for him and he was released. He returned to New England shortly thereafter.

    Joseph married Elizabeth Wise on 11 Oct 1620 in All Saints, Sudbury, Suffolk, England. Elizabeth (daughter of (Unknown) Wise and Elizabeth) was born about 1600; died in Oct 1638 in Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusetts. [Group Sheet] [Family Chart]

  6. 15.  Elizabeth Wise was born about 1600 (daughter of (Unknown) Wise and Elizabeth); died in Oct 1638 in Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusetts.
    1. 7. Elizabeth Weld was born before 22 Feb 1626; died on 5 Feb 1717 in Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusetts.