Nielsen Hayden genealogy

Catharyna Rombouts

Female Bef 1687 - 1764  (> 76 years)


Personal Information    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Catharyna Rombouts 
    Born Bef 25 May 1687  New York, New York Find all individuals with events at this location  [1
    Gender Female 
    Baptised 25 May 1687  New York, New York Find all individuals with events at this location  [1
    Died 1764  Fishkill, Dutchess, New York Find all individuals with events at this location  [1
    Person ID I21180  Ancestry of PNH, TNH, and others | Ancestors of JTS
    Last Modified 18 Dec 2017 

    Father Francis Rombouts, Mayor of New York,   b. 22 Jun 1631, Hasselt, Limburg, Belgium Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 1691, New York, New York Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 59 years) 
    Mother Helena Teller,   d. Aft 20 Nov 1706 
    Married 8 Sep 1683  [2
    Family ID F13065  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family Roger Brett,   d. Bef Nov 1720 
    Married Aft 25 Nov 1703  [1
    Children 
    +1. Robert Brett,   b. 1709
    Last Modified 11 Dec 2017 
    Family ID F13064  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 
    • From Wikipedia, article about the Madam Catharyna Brett Homestead in Beacon, New York:

      Catheryna Rombout Brett was born in New York, New York, baptized 25 May 1687. She was the daughter of Helena Teller Bogardus Van Ball Rombout and Francis Rombout. Helena Teller was the daughter of William Teller, of Albany, one of the original patent holders of the area around Schenectady. Francis Rombout was born in Hasselt in Limburg (today in Belgium) who emigrated to New Amsterdam in 1653. Rombout served as a lieutenant during Stuyvesants' expedition against New Sweden. In partnership with Gulyne Verplank, Rombout became a successful merchant-fur trader, and in 1679, Mayor of New York. In 1683, Rombout and Verplanck purchased about 85,000 acres from the Wappinger native Indians. The purchased was confirmed, 17 October 1685 by a royal patent issued by King James II to Francis Rombout, Jacobus Kipp (who married the widowed Henrica Verplank) and Stephanus Van Courtland. The original document is on display at the Homestead. Francis Rombout died in 1691 leaving his estate to his only surviving heir, Catharyna.

      In November of 1703, at the age of sixteen, Catharyna Rombout married Roger Brett, who had arrived in the new world with Lord Cornbury, governor of New York. Brett was a well respected lieutenant in the British Royal Navy. After their marriage, the Bretts moved into the Rombout family home, which consisted of a large house and spacious grounds on lower Broadway, not far from the present site of Trinity Church on Broadway. Roger Brett was a vestryman of Trinity Church from 1703 to 1706.

      About 1708, the patent, which became known as the Rombout Patent, was partitioned: the Van Cortlandt family was allotted substantially all the land lying along both banks of what was called Wappinger Creek; the middle portion fell to the heirs of Gulian Verplanck, and the lower part along the Fish Kill, fell to the Bretts. Catharyna inherited around 28,000 acres.

      The homestead, which during the 19th century was referred to as the "Teller House" is now named for Catheryna Rombout Brett (1687–1764), who was the first to develop the Patent by selling property. After the death of Catheryna's mother, the couple mortgaged the manor house in New York and moved to the wilderness of southern Dutchess County. The home was built around 1709 or shortly thereafter. Roger Brett drowned in the Hudson River, leaving Catheryna a widow at age 31 with the surviving three of her four sons. The homestead is notable as the residence of this woman who as a widow organized with twenty-one men the first produce cooperative in the Hudson River highlands. The homestead was subsequently occupied by her descendants until 1954, spanning a total of seven generations.

  • Sources 
    1. [S1759] The Brett Genealogy, by Lucy G. Belcher Goodenow. Cambridge, Massachusetts: Press of Murray and Emery Co., 1915.

    2. [S160] Wikipedia.