Nielsen Hayden genealogy

Joseph Fitch

Male 1681 - 1741  (~ 59 years)

Generations:      Standard    |    Vertical    |    Compact    |    Box    |    Text    |    Ahnentafel    |    Fan Chart    |    Media    |    PDF

Generation: 1

  1. 1.  Joseph Fitch was born in Nov 1681 in Norwich, New London, Connecticut (son of Rev. James Fitch and Priscilla Mason); died on 9 May 1741 in Lebanon, New London, Connecticut; was buried in Trumbull Cemetery, Lebanon, New London, Connecticut.

    Other Events:

    • Alternate birth: of Lebanon, New London, Connecticut
    • Alternate death: 7 May 1741, Lebanon, New London, Connecticut

    Joseph married Ann Whiting on 29 Dec 1721. Ann (daughter of Rev. Samuel Whiting and Elizabeth Adams) was born on 2 Jan 1698 in Windham, Windham, Connecticut; died on 23 Sep 1778 in Windham, Windham, Connecticut; was buried in Windham Center Cemetery, Windham, Windham, Connecticut. [Group Sheet] [Family Chart]

    1. Anna Fitch was born on 12 Jul 1737 in Lebanon, New London, Connecticut; died on 4 Feb 1813 in Fort Ann, Washington, New York; was buried in Otis Cemetery, Fort Ann, Washington, New York.

Generation: 2

  1. 2.  Rev. James Fitch was born on 24 Dec 1622 in Bocking, Braintree, Essex, England (son of Thomas Fitch and Anne Reeve); died on 18 Nov 1702 in Lebanon, New London, Connecticut.


    Emigrated in 1638, in advance of his mother and his other emigrant siblings.

    James married Priscilla Mason in Oct 1664 in Norwich, New London, Connecticut. Priscilla (daughter of John Mason and Anne Peck) was born in Oct 1641 in Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut; died in 1714. [Group Sheet] [Family Chart]

  2. 3.  Priscilla Mason was born in Oct 1641 in Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut (daughter of John Mason and Anne Peck); died in 1714.
    1. Anna Fitch was born on 6 Apr 1675 in Norwich, New London, Connecticut; died on 7 Oct 1715 in Lebanon, New London, Connecticut.
    2. 1. Joseph Fitch was born in Nov 1681 in Norwich, New London, Connecticut; died on 9 May 1741 in Lebanon, New London, Connecticut; was buried in Trumbull Cemetery, Lebanon, New London, Connecticut.

Generation: 3

  1. 4.  Thomas Fitch was born between 1574 and 1583 (son of George Fitch and Joan Thurgood); died between 11 Dec 1632 and 12 Feb 1633 in Bocking, Braintree, Essex, England.

    Other Events:

    • Alternate birth: 1590
    • Baptised: 1598


    He was a clothier.

    Thomas married Anne Reeve on 8 Aug 1611 in St. Mary's, Bocking, Essex, England. Anne (daughter of John Reeve and Mary Brock) died after 21 Oct 1669. [Group Sheet] [Family Chart]

  2. 5.  Anne Reeve (daughter of John Reeve and Mary Brock); died after 21 Oct 1669.


    After the death of her husband, she emigrated to New England about 1650 with her sons Thomas, Samuel, and Joseph. She was living in Hartford with her son Joseph on 21 Oct 1669, but her date of death is unknown.

    1. 2. Rev. James Fitch was born on 24 Dec 1622 in Bocking, Braintree, Essex, England; died on 18 Nov 1702 in Lebanon, New London, Connecticut.

  3. 6.  John Mason was born about 1605; died between 9 May 1672 and 6 Jun 1672 in Norwich, New London, Connecticut.


    From Wikipedia (lightly edited):

    John Mason [...] enlisted in the military in 1624 and went to the Netherlands to serve in the sectarian Thirty Years' War (1618–1648), where he gained significant tactical military experience, first seeing action in the Breda campaign. By 1629 he was a lieutenant in the Brabant Campaign and participated in the Siege of s'-Hertogenbosch, literally "The Duke's Forest" in English, and known in French as Bois-le-Duc. He served with Thomas Fairfax under General Horace Vere in the army of Frederik Hendrik, Prince of Orange.

    In 1632, he joined the great Puritan exodus and sailed from England to the Massachusetts Bay Colony, settling in Dorchester where he was promptly appointed captain of the local militia. In 1633, he commanded the first American naval task force and pursued the pirate Dixie Bull, routing him from New England waters. He and Roger Ludlow planned and supervised the construction of the first fortifications on Castle Island (later known as Fort Independence) in Boston Harbor. In 1634, he was elected to represent Dorchester in the Massachusetts General Court, where permission was granted for him to remove to the fertile Connecticut River valley. In 1635, he settled in Windsor, Connecticut at the confluence of the Farmington and Connecticut rivers; he lived there for the next twelve years and served as a civil magistrate and military leader of the nascent Connecticut Colony. In 1640, he married Anne Peck, from a prominent Puritan family; they had eight children.

    The most prominent episode in Mason's lifelong career of public service was his overall command as captain of the colonial forces in the Pequot War of 1637. This was the first sustained conflict in Southern New England, a complex and risky campaign. The large and powerful Pequot tribe had subjugated other local tribes, killed numerous Colonial settlers and destroyed vital corn crops. The Massachusetts Bay Colony eventually declared war with them, and the infant Connecticut Colony was quickly drawn into the conflict.

    The Pequots greatly outnumbered the colonial forces, but the English had superior weapons and tactics. They also had the guidance and support of numerous Indian allies who were tributaries to the Pequots, especially Mohegan Sachem Uncas, who formed lasting bond with Mason and also Wequash Cooke. [...] Following the colonists' victory, Mason was promoted to major and received numerous land grants as a reward for his services. Mason's Island at the mouth of the Mystic River remained in his family for over 250 years.

    In 1647, Mason assumed command of Saybrook Fort which controlled the main trade and supply route to the upper river valley. The fort mysteriously burned to the ground but another improved fort was quickly built nearby. He spent the next twelve years there and served as Commissioner of the United Colonies, as the chief military officer, magistrate, and peacekeeper. He was continually called upon to negotiate the purchase of Indian lands, write treaties, or arbitrate some Indian quarrel, many of which were instigated by his friend Uncas. His leadership abilities were unrivaled, which prompted the New Haven Colony to offer him a lucrative position as manager of their enterprise in relocating to the Delaware River area. However, he declined the offer and remained in Connecticut.

    In 1659, Major Mason moved from the mouth of the Connecticut River to the head of the Thames River, together with his son-in-law Rev. James Fitch and most of the Saybrook residents, and founded the town of Norwich, Connecticut. The land "nine miles square" was purchased from Mohegan Sachem Uncas, who also signed over to Mason all the territory in his tribe's domain as a protector and administrator. Questions regarding title to these thousands of acres created legal disputes which lasted for seventy years; the Mohegan Land Case actually consisted of several cases and appeals making their way through various courts in Connecticut, Massachusetts, and even back in London, England before the Lords Commissioners. Several of the Major's Mason descendants, in their legal role as tribal overseers, went bankrupt in the process of defending the Mohegan land rights.

    During his twelve years in Norwich, John Mason served for nine years as Deputy Governor (1660 to 1669), and he helped to write the Connecticut Charter. He served as acting Governor from 1661 to 1663 while Governor John Winthrop Jr. went to England to obtain approval of the Charter from King Charles II. In 1669, pleading old age and infirmities, he retired to an advisory position, but he suffered painfully in the last years of his life from cancer, which was then referred to as the "strangury".

    John married Anne Peck in Jul 1639 in Hingham, Plymouth, Massachusetts. Anne (daughter of Rev. Robert Peck and Anne Lawrence) was born before 18 Nov 1619; died before Jun 1672. [Group Sheet] [Family Chart]

  4. 7.  Anne Peck was born before 18 Nov 1619 (daughter of Rev. Robert Peck and Anne Lawrence); died before Jun 1672.

    Other Events:

    • Baptised: 18 Nov 1619, Hingham, Norfolk, England


    At her funeral, her son-in-law, the Rev. James Fitch, preached a sermon that was later published (Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1672) as Peace the End of the Perfect and Upright Demonstrated and Usefully Improved in a Sermon Preached upon the Occasion of the Death and Decease of the Piously Affected and Truely Religious Woman, Mrs. Anne Mason, Sometime Wife to Major John Mason, Who Not Long After Finished His Course and Is Now at Rest.

    1. 3. Priscilla Mason was born in Oct 1641 in Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut; died in 1714.
    2. Daniel Mason was born in Apr 1652 in Saybrook, Middlesex, Connecticut; died on 28 Jan 1737 in Stonington, New London, Connecticut.

Generation: 4

  1. 8.  George Fitch was born about 1551 (son of Roger Fitch and Margery); died between 12 May 1605 and 18 Jun 1605 in Edwardstone, Suffolk, England.

    Other Events:

    • Alternate birth: Aft 1538


    He was a mercer and a landowner. He is referred to as a yeoman in an entry for his son Joseph in Alumni Cantabrigiensis.

    George married Joan Thurgood on 14 Sep 1574 in Little Canfield, Essex, England. Joan (daughter of Nicholas Thurgood) was born in in of Elsenham, Essex, England; died before 1602. [Group Sheet] [Family Chart]

  2. 9.  Joan Thurgood was born in in of Elsenham, Essex, England (daughter of Nicholas Thurgood); died before 1602.
    1. 4. Thomas Fitch was born between 1574 and 1583; died between 11 Dec 1632 and 12 Feb 1633 in Bocking, Braintree, Essex, England.

  3. 10.  John Reeve was born in in of Gosfield, Essex, England; died between 23 Sep 1620 and 9 Jan 1621.

    John married Mary Brock on 24 Oct 1588 in Gosfield, Essex, England. [Group Sheet] [Family Chart]

  4. 11.  Mary Brock (daughter of William Brock and Margery Bedell).
    1. 5. Anne Reeve died after 21 Oct 1669.

  5. 14.  Rev. Robert Peck was born in 1580 in Beccles, Suffolk, England (son of Robert Peck and Helen Babbs); died between 24 Jul 1651 and 10 Apr 1658 in Hingham, Norfolk, England; was buried in Hingham, Norfolk, England.

    Other Events:

    • Alternate death: 1656, Hingham, Norfolk, England


    B.A., Magdalen College, Cambridge, 1599; M.A., 1602. Rector of Hingham, Norfolk from 1605 to 1638, when he came to New England and was ordained teacher of the church at Hingham, Massachusetts in 1638. He returned permanently to England when, in 1641, the news reached New England that Bishop Matthew Wren had been declared unfit for office.

    From Abandoning America (citation details below):

    Robert Peck, born at Beccles, Suffolk, graduated MA from Magdalene College, Cambridge, in 1603. He became rector of Hingham, Norfolk, in 1605. He was convicted of nonconformity in 1615 and 1617. Samuel Harsnett, bishop of Norwich, censured Peck for catechising and singing psalms at his home on Sunday afternoons. As a result, Norwich citizens included Peck's case in a petition to the House of Commons against Harsnett. The bishop got Peck bound over at the quarter sessions in 1622 for holding conventicles, and in the consistory court it was alleged that Peck 'had infected the parish with strange opinions: as that people are not to kneel as they enter the church; that it is superstition to bow at the name of Jesus; and that the church is no more sacred than any other building'. Some of Peck's neighbours were said to believe that there was 'no Difference between an Alehouse and the Church, till the Preacher be in the Pulpit'. In 1630, Peck was one of four ministers among twelve 'trustees for the Religion in Norwich and Norfolk', who, in a similar fashion to the London Feoffees for Impropriations, worked to establish positions for zealous protestant preachers. Soon after, Peck joined the team of twelve ministers serving the Norwich 'combination lecture' at St George Tombland, the parish of William Bridge; other preachers included Jeremiah Burroughes and William Greenhill.

    In the campaign for conformity led by Bishop Matthew Wren, Peck was excommunicated on 9 October 1636 and deprived of his living on 9 April 1638. According to petitions from his parishioners and his son Samuel -- included among papers presented in 1640 to the House of Commons against Wren -- Robert Peck had been excommunicated by Wren's chancellor, Clement Corbet, for not appearing in person at a visitation. Peck had requested absolution but Corbet refused this, according to Samuel Peck's account, unless his father agreed to 'alwayes preach in his surplesse, constantly use Common prayer, read second service att the high Altar, which they had caused to be built in the Chancell (with diverse other Articles commonly called Bishop Wrens pocket injuncions)'. Robert Peck would not assent, claiming the requirements had no legal force in the Church of England. On 4 November 1636, Corbet reported to Wren that Robert's son Thomas Peck had recently officiated at Hingham, and 'did nothing in order': Corbet called him to appear 'but he is returned into Essex from whence he came and it is rumorde the ould fox his father is kenelld ther'. (Thomas Peck had married Abigail, daughter of the well-known preacher John Rogers of Dedham, Essex.) The authorities sequestered tithes from Hingham, worth £160 according to the parishioners, £180 according to Samuel Peck. However, so 'addicted' to Robert Peck were his people that they paid their dues to him, or to his wife or deputies in his absence, defying Corbet. In light of Peck's obstinate refusal to repent, Corbet requested in June 1637 that the case should be taken to the Court of High Commission. On 9 March 1637/8, Corbet urged Wren to proceed against Peck, who had been called back to residence six months earlier but had not appeared. Corbet reported that Peck was soon to go to New England 'and carryeth [with him] many Housholdes in that and other townes adjacent, as I heare'. In the end, the authorities deprived Peck for nonresidency, 'notwithstanding', wrote his parishioners, 'he did alwayes abide in the said Towne where he had soe long lived'. Before Peck set off for New England, he made complex arrangements for family members left behind. He granted the profits of his living to his son Samuel, for maintenance. Samuel petitioned parliament for payment in 1640: this petition described Robert Peck, under threat of proceedings in the Court of High Commission, as 'inforced togeather with his wife and family in his old dayes to forsake his deare contry'. He and his wife were 'made Exiles in their old age'.

    Robert Peck sailed for New England on the Diligent of Ipswich, which carried 135 East Anglian passengers. He arrived in New England on 10 August 1638, with his wife Ann, two servants, and two of his children, Joseph and Ann. His brother Joseph Peck emigrated with his family at the same time. On 28 November 1638, Robert Peck was ordained teacher at Hingham, Massachusetts, where Peter Hobart, who had grown up in Hingham, Norfolk, was pastor. Peck was granted land in 1638 and became a freeman on 13 March 1638/9. Thomas Lechford noted that Peck and Hobart 'refuse to baptize old Ottis grandchildren, an ancient member of their own Church'. The Hingham church seems to have included almost the whole community, but this case arose because in 1641 John Otis presented his granddaughter for baptism. Her father, Thomas Burton, had not joined a church, regarding it as a separatist act. Hobart and Peck initially refused baptism, adhering to the practice of baptising only the children of members, not their grandchildren. Later, after Peck's departure, Hobart baptised the child. In 1646 Hobart sided with Thomas Burton and Robert Child when they petitioned against, among other matters, restricted baptism.

    Peck set sail for England on 27 October 1641, with his wife Ann and son Joseph. His daughter Ann stayed in New England, as did his brother Joseph. Robert Peck sailed in the same fleet as John Phillip. According to Cotton Mather, he went home at 'the Invitation of his Friends at Hingham in England'. His former parishioners had in fact petitioned the House of Commons in 1640, 'humbly crauing redresse that Mr Peck our old minister may be by law and justice of this Court returned to his old possession or att least some godly man may be placed amongst us'. Peck resumed his ministry at Hingham. The altar rails and mound at the east end of the chancel, erected on the orders of Bishop Wren's chancellor, Clement Corbet, were removed. On 5 July 1647, Captain John Mason, who had married Peck's daughter Ann, sold Peck's house and land in Hingham, Massachusetts. Peck died in 1656, or perhaps somewhat later. His will, made on 24 July 1651, was proved on 10 April 1658. Peck mentioned his wife Martha and asked to be buried at Hingham next to his former wife, Ann; also his sons Thomas, Samuel, Robert (deceased) and Joseph, and his daughter Ann, wife of John Mason of Connecticut. Peck's funeral sermon was preached by Nathaniel Jocelyn, pastor of Hardingham, Norfolk, near Hingham.

    Robert married Anne Lawrence about 1606. Anne (daughter of Rev. John Lawrence and (Unknown) Herne) died before 20 Aug 1648; was buried on 30 Aug 1648 in Hingham, Norfolk, England. [Group Sheet] [Family Chart]

  6. 15.  Anne Lawrence (daughter of Rev. John Lawrence and (Unknown) Herne); died before 20 Aug 1648; was buried on 30 Aug 1648 in Hingham, Norfolk, England.
    1. 7. Anne Peck was born before 18 Nov 1619; died before Jun 1672.