Nielsen Hayden genealogy

Lee Alonzo Crandall

Male Abt 1914 -  (~ 108 years)

Generations:      Standard    |    Vertical    |    Compact    |    Box    |    Text    |    Ahnentafel    |    Fan Chart    |    Media    |    PDF

Generation: 1

  1. 1.  Lee Alonzo Crandall was born about 1914 in Arizona (son of Myron Marcellus Crandall and Clara Mabel Packer).

Generation: 2

  1. 2.  Myron Marcellus CrandallMyron Marcellus Crandall was born on 2 Oct 1875 in Springville, Utah, Utah (son of Hyrum Oscar Crandall and Harriet Guymon); died on 11 May 1951 in Mesa, Maricopa, Arizona; was buried in Mesa City Cemetery, Mesa, Maricopa, Arizona.


    Known as "Cellus." Worked as a teamster; owned his own horse and wagon.

    Myron married Clara Mabel Packer on 22 Dec 1896 in Safford, Graham, Arizona. Clara (daughter of Alonzo Hamilton Packer and Lydia Ann Parker) was born on 26 Jun 1878 in Brigham City, Box Elder, Utah; died on 30 Dec 1929 in Gilbert, Maricopa, Arizona; was buried on 1 Jan 1930 in Mesa City Cemetery, Mesa, Maricopa, Arizona. [Group Sheet] [Family Chart]

  2. 3.  Clara Mabel PackerClara Mabel Packer was born on 26 Jun 1878 in Brigham City, Box Elder, Utah (daughter of Alonzo Hamilton Packer and Lydia Ann Parker); died on 30 Dec 1929 in Gilbert, Maricopa, Arizona; was buried on 1 Jan 1930 in Mesa City Cemetery, Mesa, Maricopa, Arizona.


    Died of injuries sustained in a car accident.

    Author unknown -- the Relief Society president referred to is Clara Mabel Packer, and the "Lee Crandall" mentioned is her son Lee Alonzo Crandall:

    "Grandma Nichols was on the way to the temple for the wedding of her son Lee in the Mesa Temple, when the accident occurred at the corner of Main and Gilbert Road, which was way out in the desert. She was serving as a counselor in the ward Relief Society at the time and she and the Relief Society President were on the way to the temple for the wedding. The RS President was driving the car then they were hit and killed. The wedding had to be postponed until after the funeral. One of the older gentlemen in our ward who became a great friend of mine because he was always studying the gospel and knew the latest discoveries about the Book of Mormon, etc. His name was Lee Crandall, and he was always giving firesides etc. He was awesome. We shared books back and forth and one day we were talking family history and I related mine and he about fell out of his chair -- his mother was the Relief Society President that was driving the car when she and Grandma were hit and killed. Small world isn't it."

    According to an account of the life of Clara Packer written by her daughter Zelma (b. 1904), in papers of Paul Leslie Crandall now held by P & T Nielsen Hayden, the accident happened on 10 Oct 1929, and while Viola Nichols died in the hospital three hours after the accident, Clara "was seriously injured and never fully recovered, but was able to come to [the Gilbert Relief Society] meeting on Nov. 5, and did not miss a meeting until the end of the year. She presided for the last time on December 17, 1929."

    According to the same account, on 17 Jan 1928 Clara Packer succeeded Barbara Allen as president of the Gilbert Relief Society. Barbara Allen had herself been elected on 13 Jul 1927, but moved to Mesa in January 1928. We believe this Barbara Allen to be, in fact, Clara Packer's daughter-in-law, TNH's grandmother.

    1. Myron Hamilton Crandall was born on 28 Nov 1897 in Safford, Graham, Arizona; died on 22 Nov 1962 in Mesa, Maricopa, Arizona.
    2. Floyd Oscar Crandall was born on 18 Dec 1899 in Safford, Graham, Arizona; died on 4 Nov 1962 in Phoenix, Maricopa, Arizona.
    3. Paul Leslie Crandall was born on 28 Nov 1901 in Safford, Graham, Arizona; died on 26 Aug 1987 in Mesa, Maricopa, Arizona; was buried in Mesa City Cemetery, Mesa, Maricopa, Arizona.
    4. Zelma Crandall was born about 1904 in Arizona.
    5. Loise Crandall was born about 1906 in Arizona.
    6. Loree Mary Crandall was born on 6 Apr 1906 in Bisbee, Cochise, Arizona; died on 31 Dec 1978 in Mesa, Maricopa, Arizona.
    7. Louis Packer Crandall was born on 7 Nov 1909 in Safford, Graham, Arizona; died on 11 Oct 1974 in Mesa, Maricopa, Arizona.
    8. Genevieve Crandall was born on 13 Nov 1911 in Safford, Graham, Arizona; died on 15 Jul 1988 in Mesa, Maricopa, Arizona.
    9. 1. Lee Alonzo Crandall was born about 1914 in Arizona.
    10. James Clarence Crandall was born on 31 Aug 1922 in Mesa, Maricopa, Arizona; died on 22 Sep 2002 in Mesa, Maricopa, Arizona.

Generation: 3

  1. 4.  Hyrum Oscar CrandallHyrum Oscar Crandall was born on 26 Apr 1844 in La Harpe, Hancock, Illinois (son of Myron Nathan Crandall and Tryphena Bisbee); died on 29 Apr 1904 in Driggs, Teton, Idaho; was buried in Driggs Cemetery, Driggs, Teton, Idaho.


    Compiled from The Life Story of Hyrum Oscar Crandall book

    Hyrum Oscar Crandall was born April 26, 1844 at LaHarpe, Hancock County, Illinois, the son of Myron Nathan Crandall and Tryphena Bisbee. He was their second child. His parents were a close and faithful family. His father heard the gospel from missionaries in Villanova, New York and was fifteen years old when he joined the church. The Crandall family moved to Kirtland, Ohio, then followed the church migration from Ohio to Missouri, then to Quincy, Illinois and later to LaHarpe, Illinois not far from Nauvoo. Tryphena's family had joined the church in 1837 and were residents of Nauvoo at the time.

    Persecution was so strong against the church that the members were driven from Illinois. In 1847 Myron and his family and many of his siblings left Illinois for Kanesville, Iowa. Myron built the first dugout in Kanesville. As a young boy Hyrum lived there with his family in Kanesville on a six acre farm for three years. While living here they acquired a span of horses, two yoke of oxen, two cows and a two year supply of provisions. Consequently, when they left to join the saints in Utah they did not suffer as much deprivation as some other pioneers. While they lived in Kanesville, Hyrum sister Julia Ann suffered an accidental hip injury which left her crippled the rest of her life. This injury kept the family from traveling as soon as they had hoped.

    In 1850 that Crandalls left Kanesville with the Aaron Johnson Company. Hyrum was six years old when they left for Utah. The company arrived in the Salt Lake Valley 02 September 1850, in much better condition than most of the trains that had struggled across the plains. They camped at Emigration Square for a few days to let their animals rest, wash their clothes and mingle with the Saints. One morning Brigham Young came into the square and with a wave of his cane, cut out the first eight wagons and told them to prepare to leave at once for their new home about 50 miles south of Salt Lake. The Crandall's were among the eight wagons cut out. Some of the men had scouted the country on horseback and came back with glowing tales of the beauty of the Utah Valley with belly-high grass and a spring of cool mountain water with the lake shimmering nearby.

    Captained again by Aaron Johnson, the lead wagon was driven by Martin Pardon Crandall and they traveled three days, arriving at Hobble Creek about 3:00 p.m. on 18 September 1850. The Crandall's were among these and on 18 September 1850 they arrived at what they first called Hobble Creek, because they could hobble the horses and turn them out to graze along the creek. Later they named their camp Springville in honor of the mountain spring which gave them water and afforded power for the gristmill. The next morning the men hung up their grindstone, sharpened their scythes and began to make hay from the wild grasses which grew in abundance. They also sharpened axes and sent groups of men into the canyons for logs to build a fort.

    Aaron Johnson's history records, "The following day the men went to the hills for logs from which to build their homes. In the meantime, the women and children picked wild ground cherries, choke cherries and service berries… The first days were full of promise and hope."

    The men began to build a fort the second day after they arrived because there were bands of Indians in the area. The village grew rapidly as the wagons arrived. Chief Walker and his parties were troublesome, more from their habit of walking into homes unannounced and uninvited, and their thievery, than threatening life. One day word came that the Indians were on the warpath and all the women and children were gathered into the meeting house to stay while the men joined in repelling the Indians. The day was hot and their supply of water is gone. No one dared go to the creek until Grandmother Guymon took the bucket and ran quickly to the stream, filled the bucket and ran back. It was extremely warm but they had been told to keep the doors and windows closed.

    At this juncture 1851, Utah was a young land. American history was still in the making here. An early day log fort arose in "Hobble Creek" almost immediately to afford the first settlers protection from the Indians and from the approaching winter. The area had a bounty of mountains, badlands, canyons, valleys and desert. In short, the area was a geologic showcase. This was the wide open west the Mormons did so much to shape. The experiences of the settlers in Springville were peculiar to the pioneer way of life. Their experiences were accounts of travel in covered wagons, accounts of Indian battles and otherwise the eking out of an existence that at times was barely of subsistence level.

    Hyrum received his schooling in Springville schools and grew up in a community that placed great importance on socials, dances and parties. Bishop Johnson, when he built his permanent home, built a large room in which the young people could socialize and dance. They had only to provide the fuel and the candles. When the meeting house was built, socials were held there.

    Hyrum married Margaret Elizabeth (Betsy) Guymon who was also a lifelong resident of Springville. They had known each other even across the plains coming to Utah when Betsy was seventeen they married on 06 March 1864. They were later sealed and received their endowments in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City on 14 January 1869.

    The Black Hawk War broke out in 1866, lasting two years. Hyrum, 22 was assigned guard duty. Whenever trouble came, the old bell on the church was rung three times, then after a few seconds lapse, three more times. In case of extreme emergency, a drum roll was added to the end of the alarm.

    Early in May a courier came dashing into town reporting that some people had been shot near the forks of the canyon. Immediately that bell rang out, "come, come, come – quick, quick, quick," followed by a long drum roll. In half an hour a posse had formed and twenty men left for the crime scene, among them was Hyrum. When the posse arrived, however, no dead were found but the men divided up into pairs and searched all afternoon for signs of Indians. At sundown they met at the Curtis ranch where ten more men joined their ranks. The group held a council of war and decided that the Indians had holed up for the day and would try to escape through a familiar canyon after dark. Ten of young men volunteered to try to head them off. When they arrived at their destination, one of their numbers was missing and they waited fearfully for the confrontation. They descended the trail to return to the ranch for breakfast where they found the missing boy who had become lost during the night. They were relieved that he was alive, as they had feared and dead.

    All that summer the men worked in parties of 30 to 40 men when they went for wood, staying close together and keeping armed. A company of minute men was formed and for six months they camped in the tithing yard. Each day a squad was detailed to herd the cattle to feed on the bench and bring them home safely in the evening. During that summer they encountered the Indians several times but the Battle of Diamond Fork in which Hyrum Oscar was involved is worthy of mention.

    A band of Indians came down Maple Canyon in June of 1866 and drove off 50 head of cattle and horses. This was the start of the Battle Diamond Fork. The bell rang, the drums rolled and a posse was formed. Only about ten were in the initial group as the other men were working in the fields and it took awhile for them to gather. Another posse from Spanish Fork was scheduled to meet them, hoping to surround the Indians on two sides. The Spanish Fork group met the Indians and engaged them in battle before the Springville group arrived. The skirmish lasted about an hour and a half and two young men were killed. The Indians finally fled, so they picked up their two dead comrades, strapped them to horses and sadly went home. They were met by Bishop Johnson who told them to get a few hours of sleep because one boy hadn't returned. Shortly the bell rang and they were on their way again.

    The Diamond Fork Battle was one of the most successful of the Black Hawk War as the Indians lost all of their camp equipment and much of their ammunition and guns. Most of the cattle were found and returned and after 48 hours of continual fighting with little food and water, the Springville men, including Hyrum Oscar, dragged themselves home.

    Hyrum and Betsy had been married five years when it was decided that Hyrum would take a second wife, so he chose Betsy's sister, Harriet who was eighteen. They were married 25 October 1869 at the Endowment House in Salt Lake. Betsy worked diligently spinning wool and weaving cloth to make Hyrum a suit to wear for this marriage. Betsy had just had a baby, Franklin Edgar, born 01 September 1869 and could not make the journey, so her mother went with them. Betsy worked all day to prepare a fine supper the night that Hyrum and Harriet got home. When everyone was eating, Betsy slipped out and a friend found her sitting on the chopping block sobbing. Polygamy was probably the hardest principle the pioneers had to live.

    In 1879 the two families moved to Huntington, Emery County, Utah in what is known as Castle Valley. The party included Betsy and six children, Harriet and four children. Harriet's fifth child, Adelaide Lucinda was born, en route to Huntington.

    The history of Huntington, Utah reveals that Hyrum Oscar arrived with a large group of settlers in late summer 1879. Castle Valley had been settled as early as 1850 but it was not until 25 years later that settlers moved there in any great number. A colony of Mormons had arrived in 1877, building dugouts along the north side of the creek. As they built homes, other settlers moved in and occupied the dugouts. Hyrum arrived with Noah Thomas Guymon, his father-in-law and they helped survey the town of Huntington. As was the custom, lots were numbered and the numbers placed in a hat, then each man drew for lots. Those with plural wives drew a lot for each wife. Noah Thomas and Albert Guymon both drew lots at this time. Hyrum and William Howard were business partners in a saw mill and built identical homes. The old Crandall home burned down later, but the Howard house still stands.

    Hyrum was a counselor to the Elias Cox, first Bishop of Huntington, when the ward was organized 07 October 1879 by Canute Peterson, Stake President and shortly afterward the auxiliary organizations were formed, a cemetery designated and an "Old Folks committee" was appointed. Hyrum also filed on 160 acres of homestead land which he improved a great deal. Hyrum and William O. Howard's steam sawmill used the timber that was one of them valuable cash crops in Huntington. Their mill was a shingle and lath mill located in Crandall Canyon found in Huntington Canyon. Another sawmill was located in Rilda Canyon but it later moved to the Forks, also in Huntington Canyon. For the first year there was no drinking water, so the pioneers hauled water from the creek.

    While they lived in Huntington, three children were born to Betsy and three sons were born to Harriet. Noah Thomas Guymon, grandfather to all these children, owned the first store, the first grain binder, the first "surrey with the fringe on top." This surrey was used as a hearse in the community for many years.

    The year after their arrival in Castle Dale Valley, a big 24th of July celebration was held under a large bowery erected for the occasion. The same bowery was also used as a church until a log cabin, forty by sixty feet, was erected. This log cabin church had a dirt floor, but a wooden floor was added shortly, but the building had a thatch roof and mud filled the chinks between the logs. Doors and windows from Sanpete County were added and when it was finished, of big New Year's Dance was held in it. A new wing was added later, forming a T. A stage at one end of the addition made it possible to hold plays and programs and eventually a coat of plaster and whitewash improved it aesthetically and a new floor over the original improved it functionally. It served the community until it was destroyed by fire in 1918.

    The first Thanksgiving celebration was held in this building in 1881. A program of songs, recitations and stump speeches started the day, then a midnight supper and dancing until morning completed the festivities. Dancing was one of the favorite pastimes of the Saints. More men than women were usually in attendance, so the men were given numbers and weren't suppose to dance until their number was called. If they didn't wait, that was called "ringing in," a practice that cause more than one fist fight outside.

    Just what prompted Hyrum to pull up stakes and move his two families to Vernal, Utah it is not known for sure. In 1887 Hyrum sold his hundred 160 acres and moved his family to Vernal, Utah where he purchased 80 acres of land and worked as a contractor, building homes. Here Betsy had another daughter and Harriet had her last child. In Vernal, Hyrum purchased a large lot, building one house on one end of the lot and one on the other. Each had two rooms on the ground floor and two rooms upstairs. There was no stairway, but a ladder provided access. The children ran back and forth between the two houses and everyone was congenial with one another.

    The family prospered in Vernal but persecution of polygamous families intensified. And it was at about this time that the laws of the land began to focus against those Latter-day Saints who had entered into polygamous marriage relationships. Because of the attacks against the church over this issue the Mormon Church issued its Manifesto suspending the practice of polygamy in the church. This occurred on 06 October 1890. The church had conformed to the laws of the land but the families that had been constituted through plural marriage found themselves in an adverse situation. Hyrum Oscar was already having to evade local and Federal agents bent upon putting him in jail.

    Because he was not openly able to be with his two families the way his heart and conscience dictated, Hyrum Oscar Crandall held council with his two families over the untenable situation and both families agreed they should load both families into the wagons and move to Mexico where they can live unmolested.

    President Wilford Woodruff, an Apostle and himself a polygamist, became very ill while he was fleeing the Federal officers, so he came to the Crandall Home for refuge. Betsy killed a chicken and made chicken broth to sustain Elder Woodruff and he stayed at their home for several days. He stayed upstairs in the boys' bedroom and when he was better, the children were allowed to go up and visit him. He taught them a little song, "I'll be a Little Mormon."

    Because of Federal persecution and after much discussion, Hyrum decided to take his two wives and seventeen children and move to Mexico, hoping to escape constant surveillance of the "Federals." They packed all their necessary furniture to head for the Mormon Colonies in Mexico. Preparations were completed, and on a cold day, 23 January 1891, they said their goodbyes when Franklin, decided to marry before they left. Julia Euzell and Hettie didn't join the family going to Mexico. They also married about this time.

    At the last moment Hyrum saw that he needed an extra rope and the only place to buy one was at the hardware store but he was afraid he would run into officers, so he elected to shave off his beautiful beard and mustache. A Deputy Whitaker, who was a "spotter," passed right by Hyrum on the street and didn't recognize him. After Hyrum bought his rope, jumped on his horse and rode away, Whitaker ask the storekeeper if that wasn't Crandall!

    Three wagons left Vernal 23 January 1891, one pulled by a four-horse team. In addition to this they had 48 head of loose horses and they trailed a cow. (Some family dispute arises over the existence of a cow). Just how much planning went into this move no one seems to know for sure. In any event Hyrum Oscar Crandall took enough time to sell and dispose of its property. It is recorded that the wagons were well outfitted. The older boys drove the extra stock and the wagons. When evening came they cooked and ate around a campfire. They were entertained by singing and playing the harmonica and recollections of that time were spoken of the beautiful spring flowers, the streams and lovely valleys. The days pass quickly and soon it became warm and sunny and the roads became dusty and dry. The stock kicked up clouds of dust that whirled around everyone.

    Finding water was always a problem. In the arid regions when a water hole was located they more often than not found the Indians guarding the water. Hyrum Oscar had to barter a horse to the Indians on one occasion for permission to fill their water kegs and water their stock. On their trip down, many times it passed over large beds of saleratus or alkali, akin to baking soda. They filled all there empty cans with it and used it to leaven their bread. It made the bread very yellow but at least it would rise and they found it very tasty.

    The days on the trail passed quickly and soon it became warmer and the road became dusty and dry. One day just before they got to Monticello, a spotter came into camp. All the polygamists' families had been taught to answer all questions from strangers about their family with "I don't know." The spotter asked all the children where their father was and what his name, but all he got was a chorus of "I don't know." He drove out of camp cursing and calling them dumb little brats but the children felt pretty smart. He was not deceived, however because shortly Marshall Whitaker showed up. His jurisdiction was in Utah but he bragged that he was going to arrest Hyrum the next day. Hyrum's friends took the Marshall's group to the saloon and treated them to as much drink as they wanted, while Hyrum and Brother Wrigley herded their horses into New Mexico out of immediate danger.

    In some places quicksand made it necessary for the men to drive the horses back and forth until they could find a safe place to cross. Many places were so steep that they had to tie the wheels together with chains in order to let the wagons down slowly enough.

    They were glad to cross over into New Mexico Territory to get away from the jurisdiction of the Marshalls and spotters. However, in New Mexico they traveled on Zuni Territory and those Indians were on the warpath. The boys took turns sitting watch night and day.

    After five months of travel the families arrived in Deming, Luna County, New Mexico on 05 June 1891, after traveling by wagon for five months. The nearest railroad point to the Mormon Colonies. Margaret was sent to deliver when they arrived here. Hyrum rented a small house for her and the younger children and helped put up tents for the older ones. After getting everyone settled in, Hyrum left with Harriet, her children and all the older boys to look over the colonies in Mexico and see if it was where they wanted to settle. They hadn't been gone long when Margaret went into labor and they came back to help Margaret. She gave birth to their twelfth child.

    A few days later the party set out again, leaving Margaret with the small children and a new infant. When Hyrum and the rest of family arrived at the Mexican border, they were told that they would have to pay $5.00 a head to the Mexican Government for all their livestock. The austere conditions of the area had already turned their heads, so the return to Deming convinced that Mexico should not be their destination. Inasmuch as they were not impressed with the country, they returned to Deming. They took a contract to dig a canal to bring water to that thirsty land and they worked all summer only to find that a Mr. Taylor, the bookkeeper had absconded with all the money, leaving Hyrum and his families completely without funds. It was a hard time for all of the family and they decided that Margaret was to return by train to Utah with all of her younger family to a place Hyrum had purchased this was 1892 purchased sight unseen several years before in this small community of Indianola, 50 miles south of Springville. Mr. Black, from whom he had purchased it for span of mules, had represented it as a sound house and everyone was looking forward to living there.

    Harriet and her family proceeded on to the Gila Valley in the territory of Arizona. Harriet reportedly had already made friends with some people from Gila Valley who spoke favorable terms about the area. It was decided that Hyrum should accompany Harriet and get them settled and then return to Utah himself and live with his first family. And this is the order of events that finally developed.

    Hyrum, Harriet and her family preceded by wagon to Safford, Arizona with what remained of the stock taken to New Mexico. They arrived in Safford (the Layton area) in December 1892. Harriet and her children settled in a temporary house which is now part of the Lawrence Fuller ranch. Their immediate concern of course was a livelihood. Hyrum remained with Harriet less than a year reportedly. A Tax Collector's s Office receipt reflects that on 12 April 12, 1893, one H. O. Crandall paid $24.70 to Graham County, Arizona Territory at Solomonville, Arizona the county seat. It is said that when Hyrum returned to Utah to join his first wife he took one wagon and one span of horses with them. The laws of the land, so to speak, had separated her and her children from Hyrum Oscar Crandall never seeing her husband again. They were left in a two room shack with tents for the older boys. Two wagons and teams gave 17 year old Marcellus the oldest and Mel, teenage sons, means to earn a living hauling and freighting and Harriet served as a midwife.

    Hyrum met Margaret and her family in Indianola in 1893. They were thrilled to see their husband and father after nearly a year without him. In 1894, Margaret and Harriet's brother, Ed Guymon wrote about a wonderful place in Wyoming so Hyrum left his family again to file on a homestead there. This was 1894 in the big horn basin of Wyoming in the fall. In 1895 soon he wrote for Margaret and the children, to come and be with him in Wyoming. The family was destitute when they receive the letter but they packed their belongings into two wagons and started out. It was a sad meeting when they met Hyrum headed for Utah. They spent that winter in Otto, Wyoming.

    The next summer Hyrum and the boys worked on the Joe Brown's Ranch between Otto and Mormon Bend. Hyrum and the boys contracted to build Cody canal nearby, 1895 – 1896 laid out the city of Burlington Wyoming. So while the rest the family set up housekeeping in Otto, they worked on the canal until the spring of 1897. It was also at that time that Hyrum and Richard Prater laid out the city of Burlington, Wyoming and the family moved there. In the spring of 1897, Hyrum got a contract to build the road through Yellowstone Park. The family lived in tents, cooked over campfires and carried their water up a steep hill to their camp.

    The fall of 1897 the families moved out of the park and homesteaded some land in the Teton Valley just south of Driggs, Idaho. Hyrum Oscar and his boys built a two room log house with a dirt roof. A spring of pure water provided plenty of water. The valley was beautiful, nestled just under the Teton peaks. Choke cherries and other berries grew in profusion in the summer. Heavy winter snows cover the trees and meadows but the valley was ready to bloom come spring. Hyrum with the help of his boys farmed the land. He bought cows and chickens to stock the place. Margaret sold butter and eggs to the store. For the first time the family was really settled.

    Once again Hyrum contacted from the Utah Construction Company and moved the family to Evanston, Wyoming in 1899 through 1900. That year Hyrum cleared $3,000.00 making roadway for the railroad. The following year he wanted to try "just one more time," and contrary to Betsy's wishes, they stayed in Evanston to build more roadway. The formation of the dirt changed, however and the hills which had to be blasted before the bed could be laid, and weathered and "air slaked," and when the inspecting engineer came, he would not pay them, saying that the bed was dirt instead of rock. They lost all their money.

    The family returned to Teton Basin to start over. During those years Hyrum was first counselor in the bishopric under Don Carlos Driggs. The Teton stake was organized later. Bertha recalled it vivdly:

    "Joseph F. Smith was the visiting authority. At that time he was an Apostle and I remember sitting by father listing to the conference. The way they had it arranged, we all sat on planks laid over cut-off logs. I remember it being an exciting conference. Thomas E. Rex of the Rexburg stake was there and I remember him reading off the names: Don Driggs, president of the Stake; George Young as first counselor and a fellow by the name of Wingren as Second Counselor. Then they began to read off the names of the high councilmen. As I sat by father, I could see the perspiration running down his neck and it wasn't too warm, at least I didn't think so and I wondered what the matter was. But he knew he was going to be made Bishop and so he was. He was Bishop for three years, until the day he died. He was a wonderful man. A thoroughly honest and good man. A man whose word was as good as gold anytime."

    Hyrum had always had bad headaches during his life. He loved to have his hair brushed when his head ached. That spring he got a very severe headache so Margaret got the hairbrush and began brushing his hair. While she was thus engaged, he grew still and died in Margaret's arms. The doctor said it was a heart attack. The date was 30 April 1904. He was just 60 years old. Hyrum was buried in Driggs Cemetery which he and his counselor had laid out just a week before. He was the first grave in it.

    Harriet, who never again saw her husband after he left the Gila Valley in 1893, lived in Safford near her children and died there 18 May 1942.

    Hyrum married Harriet Guymon on 25 Oct 1869 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah. Harriet (daughter of Noah Thomas Guymon and Margaret Johnson) was born on 11 Nov 1851 in Springville, Utah, Utah; died on 18 May 1942 in Safford, Graham, Arizona; was buried in Safford Cemetery, Graham, Arizona. [Group Sheet] [Family Chart]

  2. 5.  Harriet GuymonHarriet Guymon was born on 11 Nov 1851 in Springville, Utah, Utah (daughter of Noah Thomas Guymon and Margaret Johnson); died on 18 May 1942 in Safford, Graham, Arizona; was buried in Safford Cemetery, Graham, Arizona.
    1. 2. Myron Marcellus Crandall was born on 2 Oct 1875 in Springville, Utah, Utah; died on 11 May 1951 in Mesa, Maricopa, Arizona; was buried in Mesa City Cemetery, Mesa, Maricopa, Arizona.

  3. 6.  Alonzo Hamilton PackerAlonzo Hamilton Packer was born on 14 Apr 1841 in Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois (son of Jonathan Taylor Packer and Angelina Avilda Champlin); died on 23 Mar 1917 in Safford, Graham, Arizona; was buried on 25 Mar 1917 in Safford Cemetery, Graham, Arizona.


    Posted to by "Sunflower Lady", 7/11/2011:

    "[The] Pioneer Band from Safford, Graham, Arizona played at many community events. It was organized in the early 1880's. Alonzo Packer, the bass drum player, who died Friday, March 23, 1917, was the first member of the band to die and his friend, James Fall Freestone, the second. Alonzo's daughter, Charlotte, married James's son, Leonard.

    "Alonzo and James lived close to each other. As Alonzo's life drew to a close it was hard to make him stay in bed. When he was urged to lie down and rest he would say, 'No, if I go to bed, I will never get up. When I give up to the bed, that is the end for me'.

    "Shortly before he died his old friend, James Freestone, came to see him. He had walked with the aid of his cane the distance of the 20 acre field that separated the two of them, to pay his respects to Alonzo. As he entered the room, he stood for a time looking down upon his friend in bed, then he said 'Well, Lonzo.' Alonzo replied, 'Well, James.' Two short words! That was the only exchange. That was all that needed to be said. A lifetime of meaning and emotion were packed within these few words. Ten days after Alonzo died James also died."

    Alonzo married Lydia Ann Parker on 6 Jul 1869 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah. Lydia (daughter of Solomon Parker and Nancy Jane Welch) was born on 19 Nov 1847 in Ekfrid, Middlesex, Ontario; died on 8 Oct 1918 in Safford, Graham, Arizona; was buried on 10 Oct 1918 in Safford Cemetery, Graham, Arizona. [Group Sheet] [Family Chart]

  4. 7.  Lydia Ann ParkerLydia Ann Parker was born on 19 Nov 1847 in Ekfrid, Middlesex, Ontario (daughter of Solomon Parker and Nancy Jane Welch); died on 8 Oct 1918 in Safford, Graham, Arizona; was buried on 10 Oct 1918 in Safford Cemetery, Graham, Arizona.


    Arrived in Salt Lake City on 20 Sep 1856. "Her family had traveled from Canada by oxen and wagon with a group of emigrants who were new members of the Church" [John A. Freestone, The Life and Times of Alonzo Hamilton Packer] -- a phrasing that does not settle the question of whether Lydia Ann Parker's father ever actually joined the Latter-day Saints. The same source does say that Lydia herself "became a member of the Church while living in Canada."

    First married, abt 1863, to Henry Levins Powell of Ekfrid, Ontario; by him, one son who died at six months and one daughter, Nancy Jane, b. 8 Apr 1866 in Deweyville, Box Elder, Utah. Henry Powell abandoned her. She was hired by Angelina (Chapman) Packer to work in the boarding house that Angelina and her husband Jonathan Taylor Packer ran in Brigham City; this led to her making the acquaintance of their son Alonzo, and ultimately marrying him. Alonzo adopted Nancy Jane as his own and she took the surname Packer.

    1. 3. Clara Mabel Packer was born on 26 Jun 1878 in Brigham City, Box Elder, Utah; died on 30 Dec 1929 in Gilbert, Maricopa, Arizona; was buried on 1 Jan 1930 in Mesa City Cemetery, Mesa, Maricopa, Arizona.

Generation: 4

  1. 8.  Myron Nathan CrandallMyron Nathan Crandall was born on 17 Aug 1818 in Genesee, New York (son of David Crandall and Margaret Ann McBride); died on 4 Aug 1860 in Springville, Utah, Utah.


    His wedding to Tryphena Bisbee was performed by Hyrum Smith, brother of Joseph Smith. He and his family were among the eight families that founded what is now Springville, Utah.

    Life sketch of Myron Nathan Crandall, author unknown:

    Myron Nathan Crandall, the fourth child of David Crandall and Margret McBride, was born in Genessee County, western New York on 17 Aug 1818. In 1823 the family moved to Villanova, NY where they lived for about eleven years. There they heard the gospel, joined the church and moved to Kirtland, Ohio. Myron Nathan was fifteen years old. The family then followed the church migrations from Kirtland to Missourit then to Quincy, IL and later to LaHarpe, IL, not far from Nauvoo.

    On Jan 26, 1841 Myron Nathan married Tryphena Bisbee who had joined the church in 1837 and was living in Nauvoo. They were married in her Uncle Noah Packard's home by Hyrum Smith, brother of the Prophet Joseph Smith.

    Two children were born to them in Illinois, Julia Ann 26 Nov 1841 and Hyrum Oscar 26 Apr 1844. Persecution was so strong against the church the members were forced to leave Illinois.

    In Aug 1844 Myron Nathan's mother died and in 1845 his father married Mrs. Jerusha Smith who was not interested in following the Saints when most of them left Illinois and moved to Iowa. David, his nine year old daughter, Margret Ann, and his new wife, Jerusha, stayed in LaHarpe. Margaret Ann died there at age seventeen.

    Myron Nathan, his married brothers and sisters with their spouses and children, and his three unmarried brothers left Illinois about 1847 and settled in Kanesville, Iowa. Myron Nathan built the first dugout in the community. In 1848 his third child, Myron Edgar was born and during this period their first child, Julia Ann suffered a severe hip injury which left her permanetly crippled and they were unable to travel with her for some time.

    Early in June 1850 the Crandalls left Kanesville to go to Utah with the Aaron Johnson Company. There were 22 in the Crandall group as follows: Eliza Crandall, her husband John Deal and 4 children; Myron N Crandall, his wife Tryphena Bisbee and 3 children; Spicer Wells, his wife Orinda Spafford; Emiline Crandall, husband Richard Bird and 2 children; Laura Crandall her husband Willis K Johnson; Martin Pardon Crandall age 20 unmarried; Lucien Delancy Crandall age 18 unmarried; Nelson David Crandall age 16 unmarried.

    While in Kanesville Myron Nathan owned a six acre farm, had a span of horses, two yoke of oxen, two cows and sufficient provisions to last two years; consequently, they came across the plains with fewer hardships than many of the Saints. Myron's kindness and thoughtfulness for his wife, who was pregnant, was shown by his taking a rocking chair and a small cook stove for her comfort and a hammock for his crippled daughter which swung from the wagon bows and made her journey more bearable.

    In the latter part of June tragedy struck the company. Aaron Johnson's wife, Polly Kelsey, Spicer Crandall's wife Irinda Spafford, her mother four of her brothers and sisters and Willis K Johnson, husband of Laura Crandall, all died of Cholera. They were buried near the Platte river in Nebraska.

    The Aaron Johnson Company arrived in Salt Lake 12 September 1850. Brigham Young requested the first eight wagons to go to Springville and build a fort there. The teams comprised those of Aaron Johnson, Myron Nathan Crandall, Martin Pardon Crandall, William Miller, John W Deal, Richard Bird, and Amos Warren and his brother.

    In November 1850 Myron Nathan and Tryphena's fourth child, Franklin Austin, was born, the first child born in the settlement.

    Before the first winter set in a fort was competed and the church organization effected. The Springville fort was built on a rise and covered 1.5 acres of ground. It was located near the northwest corner of Main and Center streets. All the houses faced the enclosure with their doors and window opening into it. For safety measures there were no windows on the outside of the cabins. There were gates on the east and west sides of the fort and bastions at the corners. In times of trouble the cattle were driven inside the enclosure for protection.

    Aaron Johnson was the first bishop with William Miller and Myron Nathan Crandall as his counselors. For the first two years church was held in the fort but later Aaron Johnson built a large adobe home with one large room reserved for church, social gatherings and dances.

    During the winter of 1851-2 Springville was surveyed and a site chosen for a city square and a school. The rest of the lots which were 12.5 rods square were chosen by drawing a number out of a box. The lot drawn by Myron Nathan is located at what is now the northwest corner of Main street and Second north.

    In 1852 the legislature approved a charter for Springville and held an election to appoint a mayor and alderman. Myron Nathan was appointed an alderman and his duties included acting as Justice of the Peace, a position he held until his death.

    Myron Nathan had received his endowmnets at Nauvoo but was not sealed until it could be done in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City.

    He entered into plural marriage with Susanna Wimmer 9 Dec 1854 and with Mary Hurst 11 Mar 1857. He was a hard worker and a good provider.

    While sickling grain Myron Nathan became overheated, contracted pneumonia and died 4 August 1860, age 42. He was survived by his three wives and eleven children, seven by Tryphena, two by Susanna Wimmer and two by Mary Hurst.

    Tryphena died in 1863 and she and Myron Nathan are buried in the old Springville cemetery with a suitable marker on their graves. His other wives married his brothers. Susanna Wimmer Crandall married Spicer Wills Crandall and gave birth to seven more children. she died in 1918. Mary Hurst Crandall married Martin Pardon Crandall and had one child. In 1875 she married Amost Maycock and had three more children.

    While the life of Myron Nathan Crandall covered only 42 years it was a life filled with hardship, responsibilities and tribulations but also major accomplishments, blessings and rewards. He was a valiant pioneer and a most faithful church leader.

    Myron Nathan's father, David, and his mother, Margret McBride, led the family into the church and journeyed together from Villanova to Missouri and Nauvoo. Myron Nathan, his good wife and his brothers and sisters stayed together through the tribulations from Nauvoo to Utah. The Crandall posterity now numbers in the thousands and the benefits of the struggles and hardships their ancestors endured in remaining faithful to the church.

    Myron married Tryphena Bisbee on 26 Jan 1841 in Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois. Tryphena (daughter of James Bisbee and Polly Packard) was born on 4 Apr 1819 in McDonough, Chenango, New York; died on 12 Oct 1863 in Springville, Utah, Utah. [Group Sheet] [Family Chart]

  2. 9.  Tryphena BisbeeTryphena Bisbee was born on 4 Apr 1819 in McDonough, Chenango, New York (daughter of James Bisbee and Polly Packard); died on 12 Oct 1863 in Springville, Utah, Utah.


    Also known as Tryphena Bisby.

    1. 4. Hyrum Oscar Crandall was born on 26 Apr 1844 in La Harpe, Hancock, Illinois; died on 29 Apr 1904 in Driggs, Teton, Idaho; was buried in Driggs Cemetery, Driggs, Teton, Idaho.

  3. 10.  Noah Thomas GuymonNoah Thomas Guymon was born on 30 Jun 1819 in Jackson, Tennessee (son of Thomas Guymon and Sarah Gordon); died on 7 Jan 1911 in Orangeville, Emery, Utah; was buried in Orangeville City Cemetery, Orangeville, Emery, Utah.


    Bodyguard to Joseph Smith. Present at the meeting following Smith's death when Brigham Young "was transfigured so that he looked and sounded like the Prophet Joseph Smith."


    Compiled by Olive Guymon Stone, granddaughter

    This history is taken from histories written from descendents of Noah Thomas Guymon, from ward records, from the diary of Noah Thomas Guymon, the Church chronology, American Fork history and Church history. It is also taken from children's biographies.

    Noah Thomas Guymon was the fifth child of Thomas Guymon and Sarah Gordon Guymon. He was born 30 June 1819 at Jackson County, Tennessee. His parents were both descendants of Revolutionary War ancestors. Noah Thomas Guymon was born with the blood of a noble ancestry of courage, devotion and stamina of true Americans of which our Guymon family can be very proud.

    Noah Thomas Guymon was fortunate in having a father who was a good farmer and a good schoolteacher. From his father he received a good rounded basic education. He also knew the fundamentals of farming and the raising of livestock.

    In the early spring of 1826 the family moved to Edgar County, Illinois. Here they lived a rather peaceful life until James Guymon, a brother just older than Noah Thomas, came home from a trip, which changed the whole course of their lives. This happened during the winter of 1836-1837. James was very excited and told them of a new church; different from any other church they had ever known. When he had finished telling his story, their father stood upon a log and said, "Jim, this is the gospel of Jesus Christ. It is just what we have been looking for." Noah Thomas, James, their younger brother and four sisters and their parents soon joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Noah Thomas was baptized 02 March 1836 by Elder Calob Baldwin. From this time on, the family went through much of the persecutions, which had to be endured by the members of the Church.

    Noah Thomas knew the Prophet Joseph Smith and acted as one of his bodyguards. He told his children of being in the Sacred Grove and hearing the Prophet Joseph Smith telling the Saints that the time would come when they would be driven to the Rocky Mountains. He bore his testimony in a conference in Orangeville, telling of a meeting conducted by Brigham Young, when Brigham Young was transfigured so that he looked and sounded like the Prophet Joseph Smith. This to him was proof that Brigham Young was chosen by God to lead the Saints after the death of the Prophet.

    Noah Thomas married Mary Dickerson Dudley on 24 December 1837 in Caldwell County, Missouri. She was the daughter of James Dudley and Celia Ross Dudley both from Richmond, Virginia. Mary was born 13 August 1814 at Wolf Creek, Hardin County, Kentucky. They were married by Elder Jefferson Hunt. Their first child was born 25 October 1838 at Caldwell County, Missouri, near Far West, on the night of the Crooked River Battle when David Patton was killed. This child was a girl whom they named Mary Jane.

    In the winter of 1838 Noah T. and his family with the rest of the Saints, moved to the state of Illinois, where Noah T. helped in the building of the city of Nauvoo. Here on the 10th of September 1840 Noah Thomas' second child Lucinda Harris was born. And 08 July 1842 their third child Emma Melissa was born.

    Times were hard and Noah Thomas moved his family out into the country on a small farm. Therefore, they were not living in Nauvoo when the Prophet Joseph Smith was killed; in fact, Noah Thomas was sick in bed with a high fever.

    On the first day of March 1845 Mary Dickerson Dudley died from complications due to childbirth. She was taken to Nauvoo for burial. This left Noah Thomas with little motherless girls who needed care and attention. Ten months later [on the] 24th of November 1845, Noah Thomas Guymon married Margaret Johnson, daughter of Edward Johnson and Sarah Brown Johnson. To this union were born four daughters and three sons.

    12th February 1847 Noah Thomas married his third wife, Elizabeth Ann Jones at Winter Quarters. She was a daughter of James Nylor Jones and Sarah Ann Manerly. They were married by Brigham Young.

    Noah Thomas Guymon and his three little girls from his first wife, his wife Margaret with her first two children and Elizabeth (his third wife) and her little son left Council Bluffs, Iowa in the spring of 1850 to make their long journey across the plains to Utah. They came to Utah in the Aaron Johnson Company. There were other members of his family in the same company. They were his parents and their daughter Melissa who was still single. His sister Barzilla and her husband Matthew Caldwell and their small children. There was his sister Polly and her husband Robert Lewis Johnson and their small children. There were many preparations, which had to be made for so long a journey. Wagons had to be made ready, cows and oxen had to be trained to work on the wagons and clothing had to be made for wearing on the trip. All their belongings had to be packed and those things they could not take had to be sold or given away. There was much work and planning went into the preparations for the long journey to a new home in the wilderness where they would be free to worship God as they wished. They were very happy with the thought of coming to Utah where they would no longer be persecuted by the mobs.

    The most pleasant part of this journey was spent traveling along the banks of the Missouri River. The company crossed the river on flat boats and the cattle swam the river. They gathered buffalo chips to make fires on the prairie lands. The company traveled long hard hours but they always took time out at night to sing songs of praise to their God and to enjoy each other's company around the campfire before retiring for the evening.

    Three days before the end of their journey, James Guymon the older brother of Noah Thomas came to meet them. James had made the journey a year before and was anxious to see his parents, brother and sisters and their families. The children were driving the cattle a short distance ahead of the wagons and when they saw their Uncle James coming to meet them, they shouted with joy. This was indeed a happy reunion.

    Finally, they arrived at Salt Lake City, very tired but happy to be at the end of their journey and with their friends of the Church. One of the things that impressed the children was a red rag on a stick nailed upon a log room to show that merchandise was sold there. Another log room had a tin cup nailed over the door to show that tine ware was sold at the place.

    The family had arrived in Salt Lake City 12 September 1850. They spent their first week with James who lived on the Little Cottonwood River. He had a lovely garden, which furnished good eating for these tired and hungry travelers.

    Noah Thomas, Matthew Caldwell, Azamiah Adams and Henry Chipman went to American Fork. The history of American Fork says that Noah Thomas Guymon built the first house and his daughter Clarissa Ellen Guymon was the first child born in American Fork.

    Noah Thomas with the assistance of his family cleared the brush and willows from a small farm and he built a house, which was built of logs, and the roof was covered with small poles on which cane was laid. When this was finished, Noah Thomas, his brother in law, Matthew Caldwell and Azamiah Adams went to Salt Lake City to work for wheat, potatoes and other supplies they would need to carry them through the winter and to plant in the spring. Brother Adams had left his family in Salt Lake City and intended to move them out on his return. Adams left his young son there with the new settlers. He and brother Chipman were the only male members left to protect their wives and children while they were away.

    The day after their departure Chief Walker and a large number of his Indian braves came and pitched their tents or wickieups as they were called, near the little new homes which these new settlers had just finished. The settlers were upset by their arrival so brother Chipman went down and had a talk with the Chief. The Chief said they were friendly and that he and some of his lesser chiefs were on their way to Salt Lake City to see and talk with the Great White Chief, Brigham Young. The Chief said his Indian braves would hunt, fish, gather acorns and turn their horses on the low lands to feed. He told his braves not to molest the white people. Nevertheless, the women and children were very much afraid. Some of the Indians were very annoying. They would come into their cabins and help themselves to whatever they wanted such as milk or anything they could see that they wanted to eat. As the cows had helped pull the wagons across the plains and had given milk all summer, they were about dry now. These settlers needed the little milk they got from the cows to soak the hard bread they had left. Their provisions were getting scarce. They had hauled what they did have over a thousand miles in one wagon. When a big Indian brave would come into their cabin and pick up a pan of milk, drink what he wanted and pass it to another Indian to finish drinking, the Guymon family knew they would have to eat their bread dry. Still they were very thankful to their Heavenly Father for his protecting care over them, for they realized they could all have been killed and their belongs taken or destroyed.

    Noah Thomas Guymon was away from his family three weeks. He had got the chance to work for one of his friends, William Casper thrashing out wheat, digging potatoes and hauling some lumber from the canyon. He also sold some things he had brought with him; thus, he was able to obtain enough potatoes, corn and wheat for their winter's needs and enough seeds for their spring planting. This was the last of November 1850. They stayed here that first winter. In the late fall of 1851 they moved to Springville. Here his children were able to attend school in a log house inside the fort.

    In October 1852 Noah Thomas attended the General Conference of the Church in Salt Lake City. At this conference he was called to go on a mission to England. As soon as he could get the proper clothing for the journey he left for his mission. He left his home in the company of Elder Spence (? Spicer) Crandall on 09 September 1852 to go to Salt Lake to receive special instructions before starting their journey. There were one hundred elders all leaving for missions to the nations of the earth. They left Salt Lake the 15th September 1852 in five wagons and arrived at Fort Bridger on the 22nd of September. There they joined a company of 22 more wagons. Orson Pratt, one of the Twelve Apostles and Daniel Spencer were in this group.

    He had a successful mission. Copies of letters he wrote state how successful they were and how the Lord took such good care of the missionaries that went. Without purse or script, they did not want for food or a place to lay their head. Noah was very grateful for the good care he had had and for the many converts made in England.

    In the diary of Noah Thomas Guymon it says, "We have chartered a ship named, 'Juvants,' and it was to sail 30 March to bring 33 converts to America." On 01 April 1855 Elder Glover, who had been appointed president of the company, called a meeting in regard to the best policy for keeping good order. They divided the passengers on board into twelve wards and Noah Thomas was appointed president of the first ward. On 06 April they held a General Conference on board this ship and sustained the general authorities of the Church. Many were sick during the journey. 06 May 1855 they reached the mouth of the Delaware River and they landed at Philadelphia at 10 o'clock that night. They reached Atchison, Kansas 27 May and 28 May they went to Mormon Grove.

    31st May and 01, 02 June they organized for crossing the plains with Noah Thomas Sergeant of the Guard of the 2nd Company. 14 June 1855 they started on their journey across the plains. The 10th of August they passed Fort Kerney and 28th August they camped at Fort Bridger. They arrived in Salt Lake City with many Saints and 58 wagons on 07 September 1855. Noah Thomas reported to the Church authorities and gave a full report of his mission and then hurried home to Springville to his family. He arrived there 10 September 1855 after having been away almost three years. He was sick with Mountain Fever on his return and was ill for several weeks.

    Wednesday, 20 May 1857, the 51st Quorum of Seventies was organized at Springville, Utah with Noah Thomas Guymon as the President. In September 1884 the 81st Quorum of Seventies was organized in Emery County by Seymour B. Young with Noah T. Guymon as one of the Presidents. Noah Thomas was a bishop's counselor in Fountain Green for a number of years. Robert L. Johnson, his brother in law was the bishop.

    While in England, the Rowley home was always open to elders. Here Noah T. became acquainted with the Rowley family and Louisa Rowley, the oldest daughter. This Rowley family emigrated to Utah in the year 1856. 02 March 1857 Noah Thomas Guymon married Louisa Rowley. She was the daughter of William Rowley and Ann Jewell Rowley. They were married by Brigham Young in his office in Salt Lake City.

    In about 1863 Noah Thomas moved his family to Fairview, Sanpete County, Utah. In 1867 he moved his family to Fountain Green, Sanpete County, Utah shortly after he became counselor to Bishop Robert L. Johnson. He held this position until 1879 when he moved his family to Castle Valley.

    Noah moved Elizabeth Ann Jones Guymon and her family to Orangeville, Emery County, Utah. He moved Louisa Rowley Guymon and her family to Huntington, Emery County, Utah. He and the boys built Louisa's first home in Mountain Dale. It was clay hills close to the Huntington River. They dug a room or a cellar back in the hill with a lean-to at the opening of the cellar. The lean-to was built by standing poles upright. Willows were put across the top for a roof with leaves and mud on top of the willows for a roof. Small windows were made with heavy greased paper. An old tub was used as stove for cooking and to heat their home. This home was called a dugout. This was a temporary home where they lived while Noah Thomas and the boys hauled logs from Huntington Canyon and built a log house in the northeast part of Huntington. It was nice and comfortable home for those days. Here Louisa gave birth to one more child, Franklin Noah Guymon, born 1883. He was Louisa' twelfth child and Noah's twenty-eighth child.

    Noah Thomas spent part of time in Huntington and part of his time in Orangeville with his third wife until the Manifesto. He then moved to Orangeville and made his home with his third wife.

    At the time of the Manifesto, one morning a neighbor came and told Louisa that soldier from the United States Army was in town looking for the men that were practicing polygamy. The neighbor said, "You had better keep your children inside so they cannot be questioned." However, Louisa needed something from the store, so she sent her youngest daughter Laura to the store. She instructed Laura to say, "I don't know," if anyone should try to question her. Sure enough, the soldier saw and questioned the child. He asked, "Who is your Dad, little girl?" Laura answered, "I don't know." "Where do you live," he asked. "I don't know," Laura replied. "Where is your father?" he asked. "I don't know." Little girl, what is your name?" Again Laura replied, "I don't know." "Oh, you dumb little thing," the soldier said with disgust and rode away.

    When Noah Thomas left his youngest family in Huntington, he left them with stock in the Huntington Co-op Store, a general store where they sold everything from yard goods to molasses, pots and pans to farm machinery. This stock declared dividends each January, which kept the children in clothes. He also left a farm, which the boys farmed.

    His declining years were spent in Orangeville, Emery County, Utah. Until a few months before his death he took care of a small garden and milked a cow. He had lived an active life. He had helped organize cooperation stores in Fountain Green, Orangeville and Huntington. He was successful with mercantile business, farming and livestock.

    He died 07 January 1911 at the age of 92 years in Orangeville, Emery, Utah. He was the father of twenty-eight children. He is buried in the Orangeville Cemetery.

    Noah married Margaret Johnson on 24 Nov 1845 in Orangeville, Emery, Utah. Margaret (daughter of Edward Johnson and Sarah Frances Brown) was born on 28 Feb 1821 in London, Middlesex, Ontario; died on 17 Dec 1900 in Driggs, Teton, Idaho. [Group Sheet] [Family Chart]

  4. 11.  Margaret JohnsonMargaret Johnson was born on 28 Feb 1821 in London, Middlesex, Ontario (daughter of Edward Johnson and Sarah Frances Brown); died on 17 Dec 1900 in Driggs, Teton, Idaho.


    From Find a Grave:


    Margaret Johnson was born 28 February 1821 in Springfield, Elgin (then the London District,) Ontario, Canada, the youngest daughter of Edward Johnson and Sarah Brown, Irish immigrants. Upon hearing the doctrines of the LDS church preached to them, Edward and his family were baptized in 1836, moving to Missouri to be with the body of the Saints when Margaret was 12 years old. In Missouri, Margaret's mother and sister Elizabeth died and her father married Percy Baldwin Curtis, a widow. The family moved to Lima, Illinois and then to Nauvoo after 1841, living in the 4th Ward. Margaret Johnson and her brother, Robert Lewis Johnson made a home together prior to Robert's marriage to Polly Ann Guymon 30 April 1846 in Nauvoo.

    Ten months after Noah Thomas Guymon's wife, Mary Dickersen Dudley, died following childbirth, he and Margaret Johnson were married on 25 November 1845 in Nauvoo. Their home was a on a farm outside of Nauvoo. In 1846 Noah's sister Polly Ann Guymon married Margaret's brother, Robert Lewis Johnson.

    The Guymon family moved with the body of the Saints to Pottawattamie County, Iowa where Margaret's first two children were born in the town of Kanesville. These children were Margaret Elizabeth Guymon born 19 September 1846 and Martin Lewis Guymon born 24 January 1849.

    12th of June 1850 Noah Thomas Guymon's family left Council Bluffs, Iowa for Utah in the Aaron Johnson Wagon Train. The Guymon family now consisted of Noah's three daughters by his first marriage, Margaret and her two children and his third wife, Elizabeth Ann Jones and her son, William Albert Guymon. They were fortunate to travel with Noah's parents and Margaret's brother, Robert. They arrived in Salt Lake City, 12 September 1850, staying with Noah's brother, James who had a home in the Little Cottonwood area of the valley. Their visit was brief however, as Brigham Young had designated eight wagons from their company to continue their journey into Utah Valley and settle there. Noah erected one of the first homes in what is now American Fork, Utah. The home was made of logs; the roof of poles on which cane was laid. In October 1851 he moved the family to a farm near Springville, Utah. His children were able to attend a school inside the fort. It was here that he was called on a mission to England for three years from 13 September 1852 to 10 September 1855.

    During Noah's absence there was trouble with the Indians. Margaret moved her family into the town of Springville for protection. Margaret had to support herself and her extended family while Noah was gone. This she did by teaching school and sewing for other people. She raised food in her garden and carded, spun, dyed and wove her own wool cloth into clothes for the children. She purchased a lot and had home built and paid for through her earnings when her husband came home three years later. It was in Springville that the remainder of Margaret's children were born.

    Seeking greener pastures, Noah, Margaret, Elizabeth and a 4th wife Louisa Rowley moved to Fairview, Sanpete County, Utah and again in 1867 to Fountain Green, Sanpete County, Utah. Here the family seemed to be content until 1879 when exploration of Castle Valley yielded good reports and it was decided to move there. Margaret now 60 years old, did not join the exodus there but moved back to Springville. For the next twenty years she lived in her children's homes, especially that of her daughter Julia Maycock.

    On 17 December 1900 Margaret Johnson Guymon died in Driggs, Teton County, Idaho while visiting her daughter Margaret Elizabeth Crandall. Her body was shipped home to Springville where she is buried in the Springville Cemetery. An inscription on her tombstone reads: "Our mother we hope to meet you when the cares of life are through." Margaret remained faithful throughout her life to the teachings of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

    1. Margaret Elizabeth Guymon was born on 29 Sep 1846 in Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie, Iowa; died on 15 Jan 1929 in Driggs, Teton, Idaho.
    2. 5. Harriet Guymon was born on 11 Nov 1851 in Springville, Utah, Utah; died on 18 May 1942 in Safford, Graham, Arizona; was buried in Safford Cemetery, Graham, Arizona.

  5. 12.  Jonathan Taylor PackerJonathan Taylor Packer was born on 26 Jul 1817 in Perry Township, Richland, Ohio (son of Moses Packer and Eve Williams); died on 29 Jan 1889 in Safford, Graham, Arizona; was buried in Safford Cemetery, Graham, Arizona.


    Joined the LDS in 1836. [On Footings From the Past, citation details below.]

    TNH's common ancestor with Boyd K. Packer:

    Jonathan Taylor Packer (1817-1889) = Christina Petrina Sundby (1825-1892)
    Joseph Alma Packer (1859-1941) = Sarah Adeline Wight (1861-1934)
    Ira Wight Packer (1885-1958) = Emma Jensen (1888-1965)
    Boyd K. Packer (1924-2015)

    Jonathan married Angelina Avilda Champlin on 4 Jan 1840 in Adams County, Illinois. Angelina (daughter of William Sisson Champlin and Mary Ring) was born on 8 Jan 1820 in Hartland, Windsor, Vermont; died on 7 Jan 1893 in Colonia, Juarez, Casas Grandes, Chihuahua, Mexico; was buried in New Colonia Juarez Cemetery, Colonia Juarez, Casas Grandes, Chihuahua, Mexico. [Group Sheet] [Family Chart]

  6. 13.  Angelina Avilda ChamplinAngelina Avilda Champlin was born on 8 Jan 1820 in Hartland, Windsor, Vermont (daughter of William Sisson Champlin and Mary Ring); died on 7 Jan 1893 in Colonia, Juarez, Casas Grandes, Chihuahua, Mexico; was buried in New Colonia Juarez Cemetery, Colonia Juarez, Casas Grandes, Chihuahua, Mexico.

    Other Events:

    • Alternate birth: 1818, Vermont

    1. 6. Alonzo Hamilton Packer was born on 14 Apr 1841 in Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois; died on 23 Mar 1917 in Safford, Graham, Arizona; was buried on 25 Mar 1917 in Safford Cemetery, Graham, Arizona.
    2. William Jefferson Packer was born on 26 Oct 1848 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah; died on 30 Sep 1905 in Safford, Graham, Arizona; was buried in Safford Cemetery, Graham, Arizona.

  7. 14.  Solomon ParkerSolomon Parker was born on 25 Aug 1804 in Edwardsburgh, Grenville, Ontario (son of Robert James Parker and Providence Miller); died on 8 May 1884 in Anaconda, Deer Lodge, Montana.


    He was a sawmill operator. The 1880 census shows him in Deer Lodge, Montana.

    Notes provided by John Ira Parker of Elko, Nevada to Laura Greene, 1999, from his family records:

    Solomon Parker was born August 25, 1804 in Edwardsburg, Johnston, Ontario, Canada. He was the eighth child of Robert James Parker and Providence Miller. He married first Ann Custin of Preston, second Nancy Welch, and third Mary Catherine Green. Solomon Parker immigrated from Canada to Utah in 1856 and recorded in Journal Histories October 15, 1856 and September 20, 1856 (pages 1-8), "Solomon Parker and family came from Canada as passengers on Capt. Knud Peterson's ox train, which arrived in Great Salt Lake on September 1856. (250 Scandinavians), 14 wagon English emigrants. Left Florence, Nebraska about June 10, 1856. Joseph Parker was also a passenger. While in Canada, Solomon Parker bought on March 5, 1851 100 acres of land from George T. Goodhue in Middlesex. Paid 7 pounds (N 1/2 lot N. Con) Solomon sold on April 28, 1856 100 acres of land to Thomas Cook for 312 pounds 10 shillings. The sale of the land was immediately before his departure for Utah. Solomon Parker spent the last years of his life with a couple of his sons from his marriage to Nancy Welch in Deer Lodge, Montana, and died there May 8, 1884.

    [Found on rootsweb] This note written by Lillian Millett on the back of an old family group sheet. This was written to Alfred and Orva Freestone when they were on a mission in Canada where this family originally came from:

    "When Solomon Parker died he was in Montana, with a daughter who was not a member of the church. He left his genealogy on these names under his pillow and asked that they be given to Grandma (Lydia Ann Parker his daughter). He said 'Annie will know what to do with these names'. So when Grandma Packer (Lydia Ann) died they were all assembled in the front room at Grandma's house and there some miraculous way, the names fell into Aunt Clara's lap. When they examined them, they were these same names, which she and Aunt Janie then went to Salt Lake temple and did the work. I have had a hard time trying to connect them, as very little explanation was given, but we know they are close relatives, because of what Grandpa Solomon Parker said about them. You can understand my feeling about location and mission in that area.

    "I have a record of a land grant to William and Margaret Welch for 400 acres of land. It was petitioned for in New Johnstown (now Cornwall) in 15 May 1797. It was granted on 17 May 1802 in Mountain Dundas. (Lots 24 and 22). This Margaret was the daughter of John Rudeback (a Loyalist). I think we have two Margarets who married Williams but it is not proven. I wonder if it ever will be?"

    Solomon married Nancy Jane Welch in Dec 1826. Nancy was born on 7 Jan 1811 in Mountain, Dundas, Ontario; died on 16 Dec 1850 in Ekfrid, Middlesex, Ontario. [Group Sheet] [Family Chart]

  8. 15.  Nancy Jane WelchNancy Jane Welch was born on 7 Jan 1811 in Mountain, Dundas, Ontario; died on 16 Dec 1850 in Ekfrid, Middlesex, Ontario.


    Given on many unsourced online trees as a daughter of William Welch and Margaret Rudeback (or Rudebach), herself a daughter of John and Catarina Rudeback.

    We know her maiden name was Welch from documents such as the death records of her children.

    1. Amy Parker was born on 2 Sep 1827 in Mountain, Dundas, Ontario; died on 9 Oct 1871 in Sands Beach, Huron, Michigan.
    2. William Henry Parker was born on 11 Jul 1828 in Canada; died on 14 Jan 1911 in Ft. Gratoit, St. Clair, Michigan.
    3. Margaret Parker was born on 24 Nov 1832 in Ekfrid, Middlesex, Ontario; died on 7 Mar 1918 in Harbor Beach, Huron, Michigan.
    4. James Parker was born on 25 Mar 1836 in Ekfrid, Middlesex, Ontario; died on 4 Mar 1914 in Montesano, Grays Harbor, Washington.
    5. John Parker was born on 24 Feb 1838 in Ekfrid, Middlesex, Ontario.
    6. Robert George Parker was born on 14 Jul 1841 in Ekfrid, Middlesex, Ontario; died on 18 Feb 1894 in Chesterfield, Bannock, Idaho.
    7. Providence Jane Parker was born on 24 Mar 1844 in Ekfrid, Middlesex, Ontario; died on 3 Jan 1915 in Grantsdale, Ravalli, Montana.
    8. 7. Lydia Ann Parker was born on 19 Nov 1847 in Ekfrid, Middlesex, Ontario; died on 8 Oct 1918 in Safford, Graham, Arizona; was buried on 10 Oct 1918 in Safford Cemetery, Graham, Arizona.
    9. Thomas Parker was born on 14 Dec 1850 in Ekfrid, Middlesex, Ontario; died on 17 Mar 1923 in Grantsdale, Ravalli, Montana.