Nielsen Hayden genealogy

Mehitable Waldron

Female Abt 1708 - 1776  (~ 68 years)

Generations:      Standard    |    Vertical    |    Compact    |    Box    |    Text    |    Ahnentafel    |    Fan Chart    |    Media    |    PDF

Generation: 1

  1. 1.  Mehitable Waldron was born about 1708 in Dover, Strafford, New Hampshire (daughter of John Waldron and Mary Ham); died on 21 Aug 1776.

    Mehitable married James Chesley about 1727. James (son of James Chesley and Tamsen Wentworth) was born on 10 May 1706 in Dover, Strafford, New Hampshire; died on 10 Oct 1777 in Dover, Strafford, New Hampshire. [Group Sheet] [Family Chart]

    1. Hannah Chesley was born about 1737 in Dover, Strafford, New Hampshire; died about 1770 in Rochester, Strafford, New Hampshire.

Generation: 2

  1. 2.  John Waldron was born about 1675 (son of John Waldron); died between 12 May 1740 and 30 Jul 1740 in Dover, Strafford, New Hampshire.

    Other Events:

    • Alternate death: Aft 12 May 1740, Dover, Strafford, New Hampshire

    John married Mary Ham on 29 Aug 1698. Mary (daughter of John Ham and Mary Heard) was born on 2 Oct 1668 in Dover, Strafford, New Hampshire; died after 1 Oct 1742. [Group Sheet] [Family Chart]

  2. 3.  Mary Ham was born on 2 Oct 1668 in Dover, Strafford, New Hampshire (daughter of John Ham and Mary Heard); died after 1 Oct 1742.


    From Ancestors and Descendants of Andrew Lee and Clarinda Knapp Allen:

    "John Waldron's two oldest daus. Sarah and Bridget, ages 9 and 7, were killed by Indians. They were turning out the calves into a pasture near the house, when nine Indians suddenly appeared, seized them and cut off their heads directly before the door, with an axe upon a log, and in sight of their mother in the house, who dared not give any alarm. They carried off the heads with them, but [the heads] were found by their father some weeks afterwards in some bushes, where the Indians had thrown them after taking their scalps; and he buried them with their bodies."

    Mehitable Waldron was John and Mary Waldron's child immediately following Sarah and Bridget.

    1. 1. Mehitable Waldron was born about 1708 in Dover, Strafford, New Hampshire; died on 21 Aug 1776.

Generation: 3

  1. 4.  John Waldron (son of George Waldron and Bridget Rice).


    He was a hornbreaker. "In June 1678 Jonathan Watson and Joseph Beard saw him overtaken in drink, a habit which brought distress to his family. In 1680 the court took drastic steps, ordering him confined with one leg chained to a post, and supplied with materials for his trade, the proceeds to go for his and his children's maintenance. His letter to his wife 29 Jan 1682 mentions only his child. [...] In Boston drunk and abusing the constable 1684." [Genealogical Dictionary of Maine and New Hampshire, citation details below.]

    After 1684, he is not seen again unless he is the John Waldron from Wells recorded as playing cards in a Boston tavern in Feb 1690, who paid a fine in court saying "There is something for you to make merry with" and was as a result sent to jail. This John Waldron was also sued in Suffolk court, Aug 1690.

    1. 2. John Waldron was born about 1675; died between 12 May 1740 and 30 Jul 1740 in Dover, Strafford, New Hampshire.

  2. 6.  John Ham was born about 1649; died after 29 Sep 1727 in Dover, Strafford, New Hampshire.

    Other Events:

    • Alternate death: Abt 1728, Dover, Strafford, New Hampshire


    He was a surveyor. On juries in Dover, Strafford, New Hampshire in 1671, 1688, 1694; grand jury, 1703. Constable in Dover, 1686. Town Clerk, Dover, 1694.

    John married Mary Heard on 6 May 1668 in Dover, Strafford, New Hampshire. Mary (daughter of John Heard and Elizabeth Hull) was born on 26 Jan 1650 in Dover, Strafford, New Hampshire; died on 7 Dec 1706 in Dover, Strafford, New Hampshire. [Group Sheet] [Family Chart]

  3. 7.  Mary Heard was born on 26 Jan 1650 in Dover, Strafford, New Hampshire (daughter of John Heard and Elizabeth Hull); died on 7 Dec 1706 in Dover, Strafford, New Hampshire.
    1. 3. Mary Ham was born on 2 Oct 1668 in Dover, Strafford, New Hampshire; died after 1 Oct 1742.

Generation: 4

  1. 8.  George Waldron was born before 26 Apr 1603 (son of William Waldron and Catherine Raven); died after 1680.

    Other Events:

    • Baptised: 26 Apr 1603, Alcester, Warwickshire, England


    Said to have been a chandler at Alcester circa 1650. Taxed at Dover, New Hampshire 1659-1677. "Little appears of him except his trials with his only child seen here, John. Poor and aged and almost quite blind, he petitioned 1 Jun 1680 that he might be rid of this son who 'instead of holding me hath destroyed me and what I had in drinking,' and that a guardian might be appointed for himself." [Genealogical Dictionary of Maine and New Hampshire, citation details below.] A week after his petition, he was taken in by the wife of his brother, Major Richard Waldron (d. 1689), "until her husband should return."

    George married Bridget Rice on 31 May 1635 in Alcester, Warwickshire, England. Bridget died in 1661. [Group Sheet] [Family Chart]

  2. 9.  Bridget Rice died in 1661.
    1. 4. John Waldron

  3. 14.  John Heard was born about 1610; died on 17 Jan 1689 in Dover, Strafford, New Hampshire.

    Other Events:

    • Alternate death: 17 Jan 1690, Dover, Strafford, New Hampshire


    From Genealogical Dictionary of Maine and New Hampshire (citation details below):

    John (Heard), master carpenter, never mariner nor captain. [...] In 1647 fined for calling Godfrey old knave and criticizing Capt. Champernowne; in 1650 he had lately been liv. on Champernowne's Isl. in [Kitterey, Maine], and was buying lands in York. Appar. he had built a ho. on Champernowne Isl. and on not getting his pay had burnt it; judgm. of Ct. Oct. 1650 that he replace as good and as large a ho. [...] He had left York in June 1648 [...] but was back again in 1651 (Gr. j. 1651-2). In Dover, where he was perman. settled by 1654, he was much relied on by Major Waldron.

    John married Elizabeth Hull in 1642 in York, York, Maine. Elizabeth (daughter of Rev. Joseph Hull and (Unknown first wife of the Rev. Joseph Hull)) was born about 1628 in England; died on 30 Nov 1706 in Dover, Strafford, New Hampshire. [Group Sheet] [Family Chart]

  4. 15.  Elizabeth Hull was born about 1628 in England (daughter of Rev. Joseph Hull and (Unknown first wife of the Rev. Joseph Hull)); died on 30 Nov 1706 in Dover, Strafford, New Hampshire.

    Other Events:

    • Alternate birth: 1626, England


    Cotton Mather, in his Magnalia Christi Americana:

    "Mrs. Elizabeth Heard, a Widow of a Good Estate, a Mother of many Children, and a Daughter of Mr. Hull, a Reverend Minister formerly Living at Piscataqua, now lived at Quochecho. Happening to be at Portsmouth, on the Day before Quochecho was cut off, She Returned thither in the Night, with one Daughter and Three Sons, all masters of Families. When they came near Quochecho, they were astonished, with a prodigious Noise of Indians, Howling, Shooting, Shouting, and Roaring, according to their manner in making an Assault. Their Distress for their Families carried them still further up the River, till they Secretly and Silently passed by some Numbers of the Raging Salvages. They Landed about an Hundred Rods from Major Waldern's Garrison; and running up the Hill, they saw many Lights in the Windows of the Garrison, which they concluded the English within had set up, for the Direction of those who might seek Refuge there. Coming to the Gate, they desired entrance; which not being readily granted, they called Earnestly, and bounced, and knocked, and cried out of their unkindness within, that they would not open to them in this Extremity. No Answer being yet made, they began to doubt, whether all was well; and one of the young men then climbing up the wall, saw a horrible Tawny in the Entry, with a Gun in his Hand. A grievous Consternation Seiz'd now upon them; and Mrs. Heard sitting down without the Gate, through Despair and Faintness, unable to Stir any further, charged her Children to Shift for themselves, for She must unavoidably There End her Days. They finding it impossible to carry her with them, with heavy hearts forsook her; but then coming better to herself, she fled and hid among the Barberry-bushes in the Garden: and then hastning from thence, because the Day-Light advanced, She sheltered herself (though seen by Two of the Indians) in a Thicket of other Bushes, about Thirty Rods from the House. Here she had not been long, before an Indian came towards her, with a Pistol in his Hand: the Fellow came up to her, stared her in the Face, but said nothing to her, nor she to him. He went a little way back, and came again, and Stared at her as before, but said nothing; whereupon she asked what he would have? He still said nothing, but went away to the House Co-hooping, and Returned unto her no more. Being thus unaccountably preserved, She made several Essays to pass the River; but found herself unable to do it; and finding all places on that side the River filled with Blood, and Fire, and hideous Outcries, thereupon she Returned to her old bush, and there poured out her ardent Prayers to God for help in this Distress. She continued in the Bush, until the Garrison was Burnt, and the Enemy was gone; and then she Stole along by the River side, until she came to a Boom, where she passed over. Many sad Effects of Cruelty she Saw left by the Indians in her way; until arriving at Captain Gerish's Garrison, she there found a Refuge from the Storm; and here she soon had the Satisfaction to understand, that her own Garrison, though one of the first that was assaulted, had been bravely Defended and maintained against the Adversary. This Gentlewoman's Garrison was the most Extream Frontier of the Province, and more Obnoxious than any other, and more uncapable of Relief; nevertheless, by her presence and courage, it held out all the War, even for Ten Years together; and the Persons in it have Enjoy'd very Eminent preservations. The Garrison had been deserted, if She had accepted Offers that were made her by her Friends, of Living in more safety at Portsmouth; which would have been a Damage to the Town and Land: but by her Encouragement this Post was thus kept: and She is yet Living in much Esteem among her Neighbours."

    From "Elizabeth Heard: Native American Friend" by Maggie MacLean, at History of American Women:

    "Elizabeth Hull, daughter of Reverend Joseph Hull, was born in 1626 in England, and married Captain John Heard at York, Maine in 1642. Soon after their marriage, they settled at Dover, New Hampshire. The leader of the colonists at Cochecho (near Dover) was Richard Waldron (Walderne), an Englishman who had emigrated in 1635. In 1642, Waldron owned a large tract of land at the Lower Falls of the Cochecho River where he built a sawmill. That spot became the foundation of the settlement known as Cochecho.

    "In 1652, Captain John Heard had grants of land 'under the Great Hill of Cocheco,' and he and Elizabeth built their house on the brow of the Great Hill.

    "By 1666, a total of 41 families lived and worked there. Indians became a familiar sight around town when Richard Waldron opened a large trading post, but there were occasional problems with the Indians, because Waldron was not above breaking the laws that forbade selling liquor or firearms to Indians.

    "For over half a century following Dover's founding in 1623, the English settlers had co-existed peacefully with the local Pennacook tribe. The Indians helped the colonists to develop the fishing, hunting, and farming skills necessary to survive in New England.

    "The Indian chieftain, Passaconaway, was responsible for forming the Penacook confederacy, a unification of local tribes against the hostile Mohawks. Passaconaway's 50 year reign marks one of the most peaceful periods in the New Hampshire province. His son Wonalancet took over leadership of the tribe in 1665 and continued his father's peaceful ways.

    "In 1676, many Indians fled Massachusetts due to bloody fighting between a confederation of Indian tribes and English settlers. By September, over 400 Indians were at the Cochecho settlement. Half of them were strangers, the other half were Wonalancet's people. Two companies of Massachusetts soldiers arrived to recapture the escaping Indians. They were ready to fight the Indians, but Major Waldron intervened.

    "Waldron agreed that the Massachusetts Indians should be returned to Boston for punishment, but he did not want local, loyal Indians to be harmed in the process. The Indians were invited to assemble close to town for a day of war games. The unsuspecting Indians were surrounded by four militia companies who separated out the local Indians. Over 200 of the Massachusetts Indians were taken back to Boston. Some of them were hanged or sold into slavery.

    "Elizabeth Heard saved the life of a young Indian boy that day by concealing him until his would-be slayers had left her house, and then helped him to escape.

    "For the next eleven years, tensions mounted between the settlers and the Penacook Indians. The peaceful Chief Wonalancet was replaced by the warlike Kancamagus, who bitterly resented the injustices meted out by English settlers to his people. More and more land was seized from the Indians for paltry payments like a 'peck of corn annually for each family.'

    "In 1684, the Governor ordered that the meeting house at Dover be fortified against Indian attacks. Every neighborhood developed at least one fortified blockhouse where people could flee to safety if Indians attacked.

    "Five homes at the Cochecho settlement were garrisoned at public expense, including Elizabeth Heard's, which became known as Heard's Garrison. These five sites were chosen because of their locations on the highest knolls of the town. The garrisons were built with foot-thick squared logs impenetrable to bullets and a second story that projected over the lower story by two to three feet.

    "This overhang feature was designed to combat Indians who customarily attacked with fire or smoke. A loose board in the overhang could be removed in order to pour boiling water on marauders or on fires below. Each wall also had narrow slits for firearms. The garrisons were also surrounded by an eight foot palisade of large logs set upright in the ground.

    "The settlers at Cochecho became frightened by the large number of hostile Indians now living with the local tribe. The settlers took refuge at the blockhouse each night, and during the day, guns were kept close to hand in the fields.

    "Advance word that the Pennacooks were massing for an attack on Cochecho was known as far away as Chelmsford, Massachusetts. The vendetta against Waldron was described in a warning letter from Chelmsford. Waldron, aware of the tensions, reportedly laughed it off, telling his townsfolk that he could assemble 100 men simply by lifting his finger.

    "On the evening of June 27, 1689, several Indian women asked for shelter at each of the garrison houses, a common practice in peacetime. They were shown how to open the doors and gates in case they wanted to leave in the night. No watch was kept as all the Cochecho families retired for the night.

    "During the early hours, the Indian women quietly opened the gates to several hundred Pennacook. Waldron, then 74, is said to have wielded his sword in defense. He was tied to a chair and cut across the chest repeatedly as each warrior symbolically 'crossed out' his trading account with the distrusted merchant. Waldron was forced to fall on his sword, the garrison was burned, and his family killed or captured.

    "Elder William Wentworth* was guarding the Heard property while Elizabeth was away. He was awakened by a barking dog and managed to close the gates against attack. Elizabeth Heard--by then a widow--her three sons, her daughter, and their families were all returning from their voyage to Portsmouth with the dawn tide. The smell of smoke and the chilling sound of Indian cries alerted them to their peril. Mrs. Heard was so overcome with fright that she could not go on. She pleaded with her family to flee for their lives, and they left her hidden in some nearby bushes.

    "As daylight broke, an Indian spotted Elizabeth in the thicket. He raised his gun and aimed it at her. He stared hard at her face, then silently ran away, never revealing her to his tribesmen. In a curious twist of fate, Elizabeth Heard had saved the life of this Indian in 1676. He had never forgotten her kindness and took this opportunity to repay the favor.

    "Mrs. Heard remained hidden in the thicket until all the Indians had left Cochecho. She wearily returned to her home expecting to find burnt ruins. Thanks to her courageous neighbor, William Wentworth, she found her home and family intact.

    "Several years passed before Cochecho fully recovered. Houses and mills were rebuilt, but the loss of so many persons (about 25% of the population) was a severe blow to the settlement's prosperity. By 1700 however, the town had begun to resume its former importance. Although Cochecho was occasionally harassed by Indians, it was never again the target of so destructive a raid.

    "Elizabeth Hull Heard died at Dover, New Hampshire, on November 30, 1706."

    * William Wentworth (1616-1687), also an ancestor of TNH.

    More about these events:

    Cocheco Massacre, at

    The History of New Hampshire, volume 1, by Jeremy Belknap and John Farmer. Dover, New Hampshire: S. C. Stevens and Ela & Wadleigh, 1831. Page 128.

    1. 7. Mary Heard was born on 26 Jan 1650 in Dover, Strafford, New Hampshire; died on 7 Dec 1706 in Dover, Strafford, New Hampshire.