Nielsen Hayden genealogy

William Mitchell Taylor

Male 1804 - 1884  (80 years)


Personal Information    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    All

  • Name William Mitchell Taylor 
    Birth 25 Sep 1804  Franklin County, North Carolina Find all individuals with events at this location  [1
    Gender Male 
    Death 11 Dec 1884  Colt, St. Francis, Arkansas Find all individuals with events at this location  [1
    Person ID I35203  Ancestry of PNH, TNH, and others
    Last Modified 30 Nov 2019 

    Family Nancy Casbeer   d. Bef 1852 
    Marriage 1827  [1
    Children 
    +1. Jacob C. "Jake" Taylor,   b. 21 Jun 1828, St. Francis County, Arkansas Find all individuals with events at this locationd. 1870, Arkansas Find all individuals with events at this location (Age 41 years)
    Family ID F20686  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart
    Last Modified 30 Nov 2019 

  • Notes 
    • From the Find a Grave page for William Mitchell Taylor (citation details below):

      During the early history of St. Francis County, Taylor's Creek, which later developed into Colt when the Iron Mountain railroad was constructed through that area, was widely known because it was on the famous Military Road. Taylor's Creek got its name from W. Mitchell Taylor, one of the first settlers about where Colt is now. He was born in Franklin Co., N. Carolina.

      He built a large log house on what is known as the Blaylock Place, one mile south of Colt, now owned by Fred McCollum, Sr. The house was built of hand hewn poplar logs, cut on his place and hewn with a whipsaw and put together with wooden pegs filled between the logs with small pieces of wood, mud, and mortar. The stage coach traveling the Military Road with the mail stopped there to change horses.

      Mr. Taylor married Nancy Casbeer in 1827 and had 14 children. After her death he married Mrs. Mary Temple in 1852 and had six children. He also had two step children. He had an exceptionally brilliant mind and made many trips by horseback to Little Rock to transact business for friends and relatives. He owned about 1500 acres of land, extending down to Dark Corner. When one of his children married, he gave them their choice of 80 acres of land or one thousand dollars. He built the school house and church, non-denominational, known as Oak Hill. The church was constructed of lumber made by his whipsaw. The seats were poles, cut flat on one side with pegs for legs. Mr. Taylor was eighty at the time of his death, Dec. 11, 1884. His surviving descendants include six grandchildren, 23 great grandchildren, 32 great-grandchildren and four great-great-grandchildren. This information was compiled by Mrs. P. S. Stapleton, great granddaughter of Mr. Taylor's.

      As mentioned above the present town of Colt at the north end of St. Francis County on Highway 70 and the Missouri Pacific, was established in 1882, when the old Iron Mountain Railroad put a station there. It was called Colt Station for the railroad conductor of that name who built the railroad through that section of the county. Numerous residents at that time thought the new town should be called Taylor in honor of Mitchell Taylor, but he asked them to name it for the railroad contractor. The town of Colt was incorporated in 1816. At the time Colt was incorporated it had two cotton gins, six general stores, one drug store and two saw mills. In 1954 Colt now has two stores, one filling station and one gin. The town has two churches, Methodist and Baptist.

  • Sources 
    1. [S5795] Find a Grave page for William Mitchell Taylor.